- Basic Purpose:
Collects blood from patients; checks quality of sample, and assumes responsibility for the safety and comfort of patients, following established standards and procedures.
II. Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Complies with established corporate and departmental policies, procedures, objectives, quality assurance methods, and safety codes. Demonstrates compliance with licensing, regulatory and accrediting agency provisions as required.
- Consistently demonstrates appropriate and professional communication behavior toward patients, customers, and coworkers. Cooperates with Management and peers to promote an environment of teamwork and collaboration.
- Draws blood sample from the patient in a timely manner; promptly returns specimen to the laboratory. Centrifuges blood specimens in test tubes and capillary tubes to separate cells and sediment from blood serum.
- Accurately labels all patients samples; follows established policies and procedures to ensure correct patient identification. Logs procedures into the computer system; schedules procedures as necessary.
- Maintains test tray and working area in a sanitary condition.
- Requests and stocks supplies as necessary to keep materials on hand at all times; maintains adequate stock of phlebotomy supplies on nursing units.
- Trains new employees as requested, including new phlebotomists and patient care technicians.
- Assists personnel outside of the laboratory (on the nursing units, physician offices, nursing homes, etc.) as requested.
- Participates in educational programs and in-service meetings. Attends meetings as required.
- Maintains annual mandatory education requirements specific to position as mandated by Martin Health System.
- Performs all other duties as assigned or requested.
III. Minimum Requirements (experience, training, and education):
To effectively fulfill the requirements of this position a candidate must have high school or equivalent; previous phlebotomy experience (completion of a phlebotomy course preferred).
To effectively fulfill this position, candidate must meet the following:
> High school diploma or equivalent required.
> Previous phlebotomy experience, completion of a phlebotomy course preferred.
> Valid Class Florida Driver's License with a MHS acceptable record; must be able to meet and maintain corporate driver standards.
Competency in basic computer applications to include email and basic outlook skills. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.