Research Computing Facilitator
Required Qualifications: (As evidenced by an attached resume)
Advanced degree. Three  years of full-time experience building relationships between computing services and researchers.
Advanced Degree in a science or engineering discipline. Effective interpersonal networking, liaising, and/or facilitation skills. Leadership skills. Demonstrated effectiveness and experience with public speaking. Experience writing grant proposals. Experience supporting research computing technologies. Experience conducting research projects or other significant scholarly work with some use of relevant computing services. Experience translating technically complex information for non-specialists.
Brief Description of Duties:
The Research Computing Facilitator (RCF) is a new position that will act much like a technology concierge for campus researchers. The RCF will work with campus researchers to identify technology services that will best support their research and scholarly activities, and facilitate the use of those services by campus researchers. The incumbent will take the lead in creating and building the unit, while collaborating with the CIO, their peers, and stakeholders. Utilizing a self-starting, open, and innovative approach is necessary to provide direction in an evolving unit as is a desire to continuously learn about new technological solutions and topics in order to provide solution-agnostic support by focusing on requirements and desired outcomes. In addition, the CIO notes that the successful incumbent must be a self-starter, have active and empathetic listening skills and a knack for balancing diverse perspectives and agendas while maintaining a sense of common purpose.
- Provide researchers with one-on-one facilitative project support, recommending solutions that meet the level of computational expertise needed for each project while revolutionizing the possible outcomes on a more global scale. Collaborate with campus researchers and scholars to understand their areas of research interest and scholarly activity. Identify appropriate information technology (IT) services and approaches for researchers and scholars that help to remove barriers to their research and scholarly goals. Facilitate the connections between researchers and scholars to the appropriate IT services and personnel. In performance of all job duties, at all times be responsible for delivering optimal customer service, for protecting institutional data and privacy, and the excellent delivery of solutions and services by following divisional and University policies, procedures, and processes.
- Build and deliver appropriate training for campus researchers and scholars in cooperation with other staff.
- Develop and provide appropriate documentation in cooperation with other staff.
- Provide recommendations for new and expanded research computing services based on evaluations of campus needs, and advocate for the services on behalf of the campus researchers.
- Develop a professional knowledge network with other facilitators, both on- and off-campus. Leverage the professional network to advance research and scholarly activities. Identify potential intra- and inter-institutional collaborations.
- Other duties or projects as assigned as appropriate to rank and departmental mission.
This is a full time appointment. FLSA Exempt position, not eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Minimum salary threshold must be met to maintain FLSA exemption.
*Due to U.S. Export Control laws and regulations, the candidate hired will need to be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident, or other "protected individual" (as defined by 8 U.S.C. Sec. 1324b(a)(3).
Stony Brook University is 100% tobacco-free as of January 1, 2016. See our policy and learn more at stonybrook.edu/tobaccofree.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at [Click Here to Email Your Resumé].
About Stony Brook:
Stony Brook University, home to many highly ranked graduate research programs, is located 60 miles from New York City on Long Island's scenic North Shore. Our 1,100-acre campus is home to 24,000 undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral students and more than 13,500 faculty and staff, including those employed at Stony Brook Medicine, Suffolk County's only academic medical center and tertiary care provider. The University is a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities and co-manager of nearby Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL), a multidisciplinary research laboratory supporting world class scientific programs utilizing state-of-the-art facilities such as the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider, the National Synchrotron Light Source, and the Center for Functional Nanomaterials, and the New York Blue IBM BG/L+P supercomputer, owned by Stony Brook and managed by BNL. Stony Brook is a partner in managing the Laboratory for the Department of Energy, and is the largest institutional scientific user of BNL facilities. As such, many opportunities exist for collaborative research, and in some cases, joint appointments can be arranged.
Stony Brook University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. We encourage protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, women and minorities to apply.
If you need a disability related accommodation, please call the University Human Resource Services Department at (631) 632- 6161 or the University Hospital Human Resources Department at (631) 444-4700. In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act, a copy of our crime statistics is available upon request by calling (631) 632- 6350. It can also be viewed on line at the University Police website at www.stonybrook.edu/police.
For a full position description, or to apply online, visit: www.stonybrook.edu/jobs
(Req. # 1801501)