Provides case and group work services to patients and/or their families during patient's Hospital stay. Ensures continuity of medical care by referral to appropriate follow-up services.
1. Orients patients into the program through individual and group meetings.
2. Obtains data from clients and/or family members to assess psychosocial needs and/or health problems and determines the need for social work and/or other services.
3. Provides individual, group and family counseling to clients and their families as needed.
4. Relates to patients in a caring and respectful manner; protects patient confidentiality; is particularly sensitive to the unique strengths and challenges of adolescents and young adults.
5. Creates an atmosphere of trust for clients and is particularly sensitive to the needs of clients who are targets of social mistreatment (racial minorities, new immigrants, gay and lesbian clients).
6. Provides HIV pre-test and post-test counseling, as appropriate.
7. Provides options counseling to pregnant patients in a thorough, unbiased and confidential manner.
8. Makes outreach efforts through phone calls, mailings and presentations to promote awareness of mental health issues and Adolescent Medicine services.
9. Provides crisis intervention counseling to clients and families in a variety of situations (suicide attempts, unplanned pregnancies, divorce, violence, bereavement) and arranges crisis intervention referral services when needed.
10. Attends mandated staff meetings and other community and professional
meetings as appropriate on and off site.
11. Represents the institution by attending meetings and events in the
community, professional or lay organizations.
12. Completes all essential patient documentation as required by Division of
Adolescent Medicine, NYSDOH and other regulatory agencies. Writes
notes in patient’s medical record at the time of each visit.
13. Assists with obtaining data (demographics, satisfaction surveys, other
population based studies) input of data and retrieval of data to create
reports utilizing patient database system and other computer programs.
14. Performs related duties as required.
*ADA Essential Functions
Master’s Degree in Social Work, required. Licensed
Master Social Worker (LMSW) & Registration, required. Minimum of three (3)
years social work experience, including experience in an acute care hospital,
required. OB/GYN or Maternal Child Health experience preferred.