Requisition Number: ASSOC02987
Associate Designer, Sweaters
vineyard vines is a highly successful, privately held, American clothing and accessory retailer founded in 1998 on Martha’s Vineyard by brothers, Shep & Ian Murray. With Shep & Ian still at the helm today, vineyard vines has experienced exponential year over year growth and now operates over 100 retail locations including an outlet division, a successful e-commerce business, domestic distribution center, and expanding corporate headquarters. In addition, vineyard vines is also carried in major department stores such as Nordstrom and Bloomingdales as well as numerous specialty boutiques across the US. At vineyard vines we pride ourselves on Shep & Ian’s philosophy that “every day should feel this good” and “if you’re doing what you love, you’ll be successful”.
Now is an exciting time to join vineyard vines. In order to keep-up with our growing and evolving business needs, we need smart and talented individuals to join our crew and help us to drive the good life!
We are looking to hire a well-organized, talented and enthusiastic sweaters designer to join our team. This individual will be responsible for assisting the Senior Designer with the designing and development of men’s and women’s sweaters. This position contributes to the overall success of Vineyard Vines. This candidate should be proactive in their approach, look for opportunities to improve upon existing structures and find creative ways to utilize best practices.
- Create original and innovative designs each season in conjunction with the Senior Designer that are on concept, trend and brand appropriate
- Design and present key trends, yarn and silhouette direction delivering a balanced assortment of key items, fashion key items and fashion must-haves
- Responsible for managing design process for men’s and women’s sweaters including: market research, designing, sketching, selecting yarns, trying new gauges and stitches, trims as well as fit direction
- Attend all proto and regular fittings; develop blocks in partnership with Design Directors and Tech Design
- Play a key role in executing initial development for each season through creation of original artwork and layouts
- Work closely with cross functional teams – Product Development, Merchandising, and Tech Design to ensure information flow is accurate throughout the development process
- Create detailed flats for presentation
- Assist in all aspects of daily follow-up with external and internal partners
- Participate in group meetings, fabric shows and trend shopping
What you bring:
- 2+ years of experience working in sweater design
- In-depth knowledge working with sweaters, sweater construction, including knit machinery, familiarity with mills, yarns, gauges and stitches, fit and finish
- Excellent creativity, a high taste level and a strong understanding of the Vineyard Vines aesthetic
- Innate knowledge of fashion and trends with the ability to focus into the new direction each season
- Knowledge of fabric and trim sourcing with strong relationships and resources
- Computer skills: Excellent Photoshop and Illustrator skills, Microsoft Excel, PLM, Pointcarre
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Strong time management skills and ability to thrive in a face paced environment; excellent delegation skills
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work with a team
- Upbeat, positive attitude
- Excitement to learn**
- Hand sketching experience a plus!
- Bachelor’s Degree in Fashion Design
Every-day will feel this good because:
- We have a fun-spirited entrepreneurial culture filled with truly “good” people
- Every Friday we have “Fruit, Bagels, and Big Ideas” where you can learn something new from executive leaders
- Every Wednesday we have an ice cream truck to satisfy your cravings
- We have a fully-stocked kitchen filled with unlimited fruit, snacks, and drinks to help you stay energized while on-deck.
- We’re a dog friendly boat and we can always use the extra hands on-deck!
- We have flexible working hours to accommodate your personal life
- We have multiple company outings as we believe spending time with the crew outside of work is part of the good life
- We offer a generous employee discount so you can rep our lifestyle on-and-off the boat
- We offer a competitive salary package, 401-K, commuter benefits, and paid-family leave
- We’ll invest in your career. Our company is continuing to grow and we’ll give you the opportunity to do the same. You’ll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the company’s evolving needs.