St. Louis Traffic & Planning Section Manager
At HDR, we specialize in engineering, architecture, environmental and construction services. While we are most well-known for adding beauty and structure to communities through high-performance buildings and smart infrastructure, we provide much more than that. We create an unshakable foundation for progress because our multidisciplinary teams also include scientists, economists, builders, analysts and artists. That's why we believe diversity is our greatest strength. HDR is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer.
Watch our 'About Us' video
We believe that the way we work can add meaning and value to the world. That ideas inspire positive change. That coloring outside the lines can illuminate fresh perspectives. And that small details yield important realizations. Above all, we believe that collaboration is the best way forward.
HDR is seeking a Section Manager for our Traffic & Planning staff in our St. Louis, Missouri office. The individual in this position will be a key member of the HDR Missouri/Kansas Transportation business group, will serve as Section Manager for the St. Louis Traffic and Planning Section, and will lead, develop and expand our local team. This person is responsible to coordinate project staffing and workload management on traffic engineering, planning, and research projects.
The individual in this position plans, directs and monitors all aspects of large multi-disciplinary Traffic and Planning projects that may include:
- Traffic engineering studies such as speed studies, signal warrants, parking studies, access management, travel time, traffic impact studies, etc.
- Traffic Design (Signals, Lighting, Signing, Pavement Marking, ITS, MOT)
- Operational Analysis (VISSIM, Synchro, FREEVAL, etc.)
- Use of large datasets (HERE, INRIX, etc.) to support model building, calibration, and analysis
- Highway/roadway safety analyses (including HSM, ISATe, etc.)
- Geospatial analysis and mapping
- Support of Design-Build projects
- Transportation planning reports
- Corridor studies
- Facility with transportation demand modeling inputs and outputs
- Local, regional and statewide multimodal transportation plans
- Transportation research
- Transit studies (rail and bus)
- Bicycle and pedestrian studies/design (including Complete Streets)
- Environmental documents
This person will be responsible for the pursuit and management of major transportation design, operations, planning and research projects. The position will involve high-profile project pursuits and extensive client interactions. The ability to establish client relationships in the market is critical. The person in this position directs the work of others in the completion of required plans, studies, documents and reports. Extensive public participation, agency coordination, planning and programming experience is desired. The person in this position leads scope development and execution in conjunction with appropriate technical professionals in multiple transportation and environmental disciplines. This person is responsible for active participation in the Institute of Transportation Engineers and other industry committees and organizations.
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or equivalent/similar. Advanced degree preferred.
- 7-20 years of relevant experience with traffic engineering/design and transportation planning projects/programs.
- Experience in preparing traffic-related designs, traffic studies, operation analysis (eg. Microsimulation) transportation plans, corridor plans, and other documents; preferably for state/local governments.
- P.E. Registration required; PTOE desirable/preferred. Must be able to obtain PE license in Missouri.
- Ability to lead and grow a team of professionals.
- Well developed analytical, organizational, interpersonal, and written communication skills.
- Programming skills (VBA, Python, R, MATLAB, Java, etc.) – especially in support of microsimulation – preferred.
- An attitude and commitment to being an active participant of our employee-owned culture.
At HDR, we know work isn't only about who you work for; it's also about what you do and how you do it. Led by the strength of our values and a culture shaped by employee ownership, we network with each other, build on each other's contributions, and collaborate together to make great things possible. When you join HDR, we give you license to do the same. We help you take charge of your career, giving you multiple growth opportunities along the way.