What you will do
Under general direction, develops long-term customer relationships with assigned accounts, primarily focused on contractors, design-build contractors and consultants in the commercial and mid-market HVAC construction space selling JCIs complete product offering of HVAC Equipment and Controls. Maximizes account penetration of assigned accounts by serving their full spectrum of needs, leveraging Johnson Controls broad portfolio of HVAC Equipment and Controls offerings. For assigned accounts, seeks for Johnson Controls to become the preferred supplier of HVAC offerings (last look with contractors, trusted advisor and default spec with design-build contractors and consulting engineers). Ensures customer retention and growth of assigned accounts and aligns Johnson Controls support staff with customer organization. Partners with other local sales representatives to maximize profit generation from accounts through influence on specifications (design-build contractors, consulting engineers) and market pricing (contractors). Partners with Owner Direct account executives to help be the equipment and controls expert for Prime retrofit and replacement opportunities. Effectively teams with and delegates to internal teammates to ensure customer support and satisfaction. Utilizes sales tools to plan and document progress as well as increase business opportunity in accounts. Actively bids all offerings across the Johnson Controls line card with assigned accounts. Achieves quarterly quotas and annual sales plans. Obtains and closes sales on a monthly basis.
How you will do it
- Builds partnering relationships with assigned Contractors, design build contractors and light commercial contractors primarily in the commercial midmarket building space to grow relationships, namely with key decision makers, and earns preferred partner status across our entire line card of HVAC Systems offerings. Maintains frequent contact (through face to face contact when appropriate, telephone and virtual meetings) with the customers who most directly influence account penetration. Actively listens, probes, identifies and addresses concerns. Understands the customer's business and speaks their language. Develops credibility, loyalty, trust and commitment.
- With contractors, performs take-offs and actively bids the full spectrum of Johnson Controls offerings and helps is design/build situations where we can influence the final design. Consistently drives a preference for Johnson Controls products and offerings with assigned design-build contractor and consultant accounts. Actively influences customers to promote Johnson Controls across their project estimating, design and construction teams.
- Leads or participates on teams in pursuit of individual projects based on account assignments, and honors the credit split guidelines to reward teamwork.
- Develops relationships with internal support, operations, and administrative staff to ensure customer satisfaction, and quickly addresses issues. Trains and mentors inside sales team to drive customer satisfaction. When applicable, works directly with the CSS (Commercial Systems Specialist) in the market to have the CSS assist in obtaining Basis of Design, support customer meetings, and jobs site reviews to gain even more credibility with the customer.
- Understands JCI System strengths and competitors weaknesses to ensure JCI is positioned with maximum advantage. Uses existing market and/or industry knowledge to position JCI as the go-to provider for all of their customers HVAC needs.
- Functions as a quarterback or job captain on projects with multiple players which includes responsibility for take-offs, estimating and development of bid strategy as directed by sales manager.
- Timely, knowledgeable response to bid requests, specification development, and equipment selections.
- Keeps management informed of progress and account status.
- Leverages management with accounts, such as local, area, and/or executive leadership engagement and sponsorship, when and where appropriate.
- Leverages subject matter experts from within Johnson Controls to better position and optimize our value proposition of proposed offerings and solutions to increase win rates, such as the CSS role, Center of Excellence (CoE), service technicians, or other account executives.
- Manages account receivables (A/R) balances in line with Johnson Controls objectives and policies.
- Leads the sales team by building and fostering team relationships to ensure customer satisfaction. Solicits support from and communicates effectively with internal staff. Develops relationship with other internal JCI organizations to exceed customers' expectations. Owns and facilitates the customer relationship.
- Assists in the development of the Branch HVAC commercial sales, marketing plans and strategies. Aides in the implementation of these strategies and action plans.
- Utilizes applicable sales tools effectively to plan and document progress as well as increase penetration of accounts.
- Participates in professional organizations for reasons of personal development, customer relationship building, and industry networking within local market community.
What we look for
- Bachelors degree in business, engineering, or related construction field discipline required.
- A minimum of five years of progressive field sales experience selling HVAC mechanical equipment to Contractors, Consultants and General Contractors in the construction industry.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment and effectively manage multiple priorities.
- Strong time management skills. Demonstrates a commitment to integrity and quality in business. Excellent initiative and interpersonal communications skills.
- Demonstrated ability to influence the market at key levels.
- Specific experience in the commercial market supporting and/or selling Rooftops or VRF (Variable Refrigerant Flow) equipment is preferred.
- Existing relationships in the market with commercial focused contractors, Consulting engineers and design/build contractors is also preferred.
- BA degree in Engineering or Technical Degree
- Five (5) years experience selling in the Construction industry.
- Five (5) years of experience selling HVAC Mechanical Equipment.
Johnson Controls International plc. is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, genetic information, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. For more information, please view EEO is the Law. If you are an individual with a disability and you require an accommodation during the application process, please visit www.johnsoncontrols.com/careers.