The primary responsibility is to provide initial patient-family contact and maintain the continuity of patient rapport throughout the patient's visit. The position serves as a key player in the front desk activity (checking-in and checking out patients) for various providers of health care services at various locations.
Position located at The Woman's Hospital of Texas (WOMH).
- Assists with clinic flow
- Checks in patients (providing intake paperwork, making copies of documents, ID, insurance, collects payments for appointments)
- Assists with tracking of patient results
- Assists with submission of prior authorization, medical letters of necessity, or verification of benefits as needed
- Enters patient demographics, appointment indication and testing information for each patient into database
- Enters patient results into database
- Calls out normal patient test results as requested
- Obtains family history information as requested
- Contacts patients for follow up information
- Completes test requisition forms
- Mails patient records, results, educational information, etc. as needed
- Triages referrals and contacts referred patients to schedule genetic counseling appointments.
- Reviews referrals and contacts referring physicians for missing medical records or additional details about referrals
- Registers and schedules patients in Epic. This includes recording patient demographic, referral indication and referring provider
- Manages genetic counselor schedules, including blocking schedules in Epic as needed and triaging patients to appropriate genetic counselor schedules.
- Sends letters to referring provider documenting patients scheduling decisions (no show, declined, etc.)
- Makes referrals through Consultagene portal, as appropriate
- Answers phone calls and checks voice messages, triages calls to appropriate counselor
- Communicates patient and referring provider messages to the genetic counselors when they are with patients or unavailable
- Scans records/results into the EMR
- Organizes incoming faxes and distributes faxes to appropriate counselors
- Tracks and orders office supplies and genetic testing kits/supplies
- Packages, drops off and coordinates courier pick-ups for testing samples
- Controls access to GCs for lab reps and salespeople
- Performs general office duties including faxing, making copies, organizing the office, etc.
- High school diploma or GED
- Three years of relevant experience
Bachelor of Science degree, ideally Genetics, Biology or other science major.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.