Scientist/Senior Scientist, Translational Sciences
Encoded Therapeutics Inc. is a biotechnology company advancing precision medicines for a broad range of genetic disorders. Our mission is to unlock new opportunities for viral gene therapy through genomics-driven discovery. We focus on delivering life-changing advances for individuals with genetic disorders not addressable with current approaches. For more information, please visit www.Encoded.com.
We are seeking a Scientist/Senior Scientist to join our Translational sciences group as a part of our immunohistochemistry (IHC) team. This role will be responsible for processing tissues for digital histopathology and maintaining daily operations in the histology team. The candidate will use image acquisition and analysis to support early and late-stage preclinical projects. Encoded is developing cutting edge AAV-based gene therapies for pediatric disorders of the central nervous system. This scientist will work closely with Preclinical, Technology and Translational teams in a matrixed environment to design, perform, analyze, and report on critical IHC-based experiments to support pipeline progression.
The ideal candidate will have experience with immunofluorescence, immunohistochemistry, RNA technologies, image analysis and tissue handling. The role involves experimental design, planning and execution skills. Other responsibilities include data analysis and presentation to a broader group. We are looking for motivated and creative individuals with leadership skills. It is critical that this individual is flexible and can work in a team setting to deliver complex technical studies.
Workplace Model: Hybrid
- Functions include all phases of tissue preparations, fresh or in-process specimens (paraffin and frozen)
- Routine histology staining, special stains and multiplexed immunohistochemistry (IHC) on CRO generated FFPE slides or in-house generated frozen samples from cryosectioning.
- Develop and drive histology-based assays (through external and internal collaboration) including multiplexed IHC, immunofluorescence (IF) and in-situ hybridization (ISH). Capable of identifying artifacts and troubleshooting.
- Drive design and method development for in situ RNA technology related assays including the use of RNAscope from ACD
- Oversee and perform fluorescent and bright field whole slide microscopy
- Perform in-house qualitative or quantitative image analysis across different tissue staining platforms; familiar with common digital imaging software (i.e. HALO etc.)
- Summarize findings in PowerPoint presentation, research reports and image panels for posters and publications to communicate to internal and external stakeholders as projects evolve
- This individual will be responsible for maintenance, operation, qualification of histology equipment, training research assistants and peers in histological sample handling, immunohistochemical tools, imaging, and analysis
- Manage multiple research projects from start to finish, interpret data and present results
- Collaborate and communicate effectively across functional teams to identify key experiments and provide technical experience for building new tissue based IHC assays for preclinical and translational applications.
- Research new staining targets and understand the methodology needed to validate IHC staining
- Review scientific literature, synthesize, and summarize information
- Sample management and data organization in image databases, ELNs, biorepository systems
- PhD degree in Neurosciences, Pathology, or related discipline with 2+ years’ experience working in a pharmaceutical or biotech company
- Experience with IHC and imaging
- Experience in histology-based biomarker assay development and validation
- Experience performing and troubleshooting single and multiplex IHC, IF, and ISH assays
- Ability to exercise judgment within defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate action
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills as well as ability to work effectively as a part of a cross functional team.
- Strong organizational skills
- Independently motivated, detail oriented, strong analytical skills and problem-solving ability