As a not-for-profit organization, Mass General Brigham is committed to supporting patient care, research, teaching, and service to the community by leading innovation across our system. Founded by Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Massachusetts General Hospital, Mass General Brigham supports a complete continuum of care including community and specialty hospitals, a managed care organization, a physician network, community health centers, home care and other health-related entities. Several of our hospitals are teaching affiliates of Harvard Medical School, and our system is a national leader in biomedical research.
We’re focused on a people-first culture for our system’s patients and our professional family. That’s why we provide our employees with more ways to achieve their potential. Mass General Brigham is committed to aligning our employees’ personal aspirations with projects that match their capabilities and creating a culture that empowers our managers to become trusted mentors. We support each member of our team to own their personal development—and we recognize success at every step.
Our employees use the Mass General Brigham values to govern decisions, actions and behaviors. These values guide how we get our work done: Patients, Affordability, Accountability & Service Commitment, Decisiveness, Innovation & Thoughtful Risk; and how we treat each other: Diversity & Inclusion, Integrity & Respect, Learning, Continuous Improvement & Personal Growth, Teamwork & Collaboration.
General Summary/Overview Statement:
The Server and Storage Engineering Services Team is responsible for designing and deploying new data center infrastructure technologies and services as a component of the overall architecture to meet business needs.
The infrastructure includes on prem and hybrid cloud services, virtualization, server hardware and operating systems, storage, and databases. It also includes the tools for automation, management and monitoring of those technologies. The Design team is accountable for the roadmap, architecture and transition to Operations.
The team works closely with the Server and Storage Operations Team, Integrated Network and
Voice communication IS Support Services (Desktop and Mobile Endpoint), and the MGB CTO and Site CIOs as well as various working groups in the organization to continue the evolution of the data center infrastructure (both physical and virtual) and various cloud service provides.
The team is also responsible for architecture, design and documentation of new and emerging data center infrastructure technologies for use throughout MGB, which includes infrastructure certification environment and keeping the center up to date.
This position is responsible for collaborating with other architects, systems engineers and other technical colleagues to plan portions of the windows servers and cloud enterprise architecture environment as well as act as the steward for windows architecture, cloud architectural principles and standards. You will evaluate current technology solutions while planning, designing, and coordinating multi-year hybrid cloud roadmaps for all applications and support activities.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Configure and deploy new designs/solutions in the Mass General Brigham Infrastructure Certification Center or production test environments (on prem, hybrid and cloud)
- Architecture recommendations around data integrity, backups, restores, failovers and disaster recovery.
- Assist with non-standard provisioning requests.
- Perform or reference system optimization information that will inform enterprise wide infrastructure design changes.
- Technical consultation on complex projects
- Attend vendor roadmap discussions and PHS roadmap discussions to stay knowledgeable about both business needs and solutions that may fit our environment.
- Actively participates in design critiques and presents creative design options and storyboards to product development team members, ensuring that visual design communicates and functions successfully for varying user, technical and performance specifications.
- Builds prototypes to illustrate design concepts and user interaction principles. Able to create intelligent and compelling user interaction designs.
- To understand impact of existing applications and system data structures on design of enhancements or new applications.
- Assume technical ownership of all vRealize development activities including day-to-day management of the vRealize Platform.
- Identification & technical development of vRealize Scripts, Workflows Orchestrations
- Designs, codes, tests and debugs software.
- Writes technical requirements documents.
- Assists other members of the IT Service Management group with technical support in the development and implementation of system projects and support efforts.
- Uses the Mass General Brigham values to govern decisions, actions and behaviors. These values guide how we get our work done: Patients, Affordability, Accountability & Service Commitment, Decisiveness, Innovation & Thoughtful Risk; and how we treat each other: Diversity & Inclusion, Integrity & Respect, Learning, Continuous Improvement & Personal Growth, Teamwork & Collaboration.
- Performs all other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree or greater in Computer Science or a related discipline or 5 years related experience
- 5 years of experience converting business requirements into workable solutions as a software developer
- 5 years of server administration experience in a large network environment, with extensive background in server 2008, 2012, 2016, 2019).
- 5 years of experience leading technical projects, or technical components of enterprise projects
- 3 years of hands on vRealize Platform and development experience
- 3 years of experience with Microsoft technology (Specifically Active Directory, Azure)
- Experience implementing solutions at an enterprise level
- Understand the fundamentals of database design, and web service (SOAP and REST) integrations
- Familiarity with fundamentals of good user interface design, and human-computer interaction principles.
- VMware Certification(s) a strong plus
- Knowledge of converged networking environment
- Knowledge of Operating Systems: Windows 2008, 2012, Linux and Unix
- Experience with VMware (Vrealize Suite a plus)
- Scripting skills with Powershell and ansible
- Knowledge of Active Directory and Group Policy
- Experience in a SAN environment
- Experience with Cisco rack-mountable servers
- Experience with Network protocols
- Self-starter with a strong work ethic and a demonstrated ability to work independently or as an active member of a team, willing to take initiative to outline work tasks and deliverables, and to meet with other teams across the organization to develop solutions
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Maintains a professional demeanor while holding customer service and customer satisfaction in highest regard
- Demonstrates initiative, analytical evaluation, and constructive thinking skills.
- Shows ability to change focus and manage transitions.
- Shows willingness to compromise and willingness to adapt to changes in design requirements.
- High degree of creativity and “outside-the-box” thinking.
- Is a results-oriented person with an applied, practical focus
- Demonstrates an ability to translate design specifications into working web applications.
- Has ability to understand the work environment and manage competing priorities in conjunction with developing/meeting project goals.
- Understands the dynamic nature of the requirements gathering, analysis, and prototyping process.
- Detail oriented, with excellent testing and quality assurance skills.
Standard Office Environment, travel to other local offices as required. Must serve on on-call rotation once-per-month