As a not-for-profit organization, Mass General Brigham is committed to supporting patient care, research, teaching, and service to our community by leading innovation across our system. Founded by Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Massachusetts General Hospital, Mass General Brigham supports a complete continuum of care including community and specialty hospitals, a managed care organization, a physician network, community health centers, home care and other health-related entities. Several of our hospitals are teaching affiliates of Harvard Medical School, and our system is a national leader in biomedical research.
We seek employees who bring passion, are highly collaborative, and thrive in a dynamic, diverse, and inclusive team. We work in a highly agile environment with a focus on quality and achieving real impact with our work. We are excited to have a team with a rich mix of experiences, with people who bring innovative approaches to their work, an excitement for looking at things from new angles, and a spirit of continuous improvement. Finally, we seek employees who embrace and live our core values of respect, recognition, communication, commitment, trust, innovation, and service. If this sounds like you, we invite you to apply.
Mass General Brigham’s main office is in Somerville, MA. We are currently working as a fully-remote team due to COVID-19 and encourage applications from across the US as telecommuting becomes part of our new normal. We are committed to building an engaged, inclusive community and offer a variety of opportunities to come together virtually and facilitate learning and collaboration.
The value of investments in data and analytics were proven out during our response to COVID-19 as these investments were leveraged to stand up new reporting and analytic capabilities to support executive and clinical leadership on managing the pandemic. Our broad data and analytic community has come together across Mass General Brigham ’s 14 healthcare sites with shared urgency, delivering analytic tools to our system that drove timely insights in both clinical and operational domains, resulting in effective delivery of critical care and in organizational efficiencies during a time of reduced resources.
Mass General Brigham is innovating and transforming the delivery of health care, research and discovery through significant investments in Enterprise Data and Digital Health capabilities. The MGB Board and System-Wide Executive Leadership Team have made a multi-year, substantial investment in building out core digital and data capabilities to support the achievement of our mission and to drive growth and innovation in inpatient, ambulatory, and digital care. We are at the start of this journey and are looking for talented individuals to join our team in transforming healthcare.
The outcomes of this data and digital health strategy include improved patient care, quality of care, patient engagement, provider experience, and system efficiency. To achieve these goals, data and analytics teams from across Partners are working together to build a system-wide data ecosystem leveraging the latest innovations in data and analytic capabilities. The Mass General Brigham Data and Analytics Organization (DAO) is working closely with Research Analytics, Clinical Data Science, and Information Systems to build the data ecosystem by leveraging current assets and building new integrated solutions to provide a holistic set of industry-leading data and analytic capabilities including Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML), and real-time insights integrated into the clinical and operational workflow.
We seek employees who bring passion, are highly collaborative, and thrive in a dynamic, diverse, and inclusive team environment. We work in a highly agile environment with a focus on quality and achieving real impact with our work. Finally, we seek employees who embrace and live our core values of respect, recognition, communication, commitment, trust, innovation, and service.
Critical for the Data and Analytics Organization (DAO) to generate positive value from data and analytic investments is to have a team of Business Analysts. The Business Analysts work with the Analytic Translator / Product Manager to:
- Create complex queries and distribute reports to validate logic and test requirements that meet business needs of stakeholders
- Document business requirements and translate into functional and non-functional specs
- Document business processes need to support new system sustainability; analyze business processes, identify issues and offer solutions
- Execute deliverables at the direction of Product Manager and understand stakeholder priorities
- Develop end user testing plans to validate products and perform basic / intermediate data discovery
Through this engagement model, the Business Analyst support and execute on the data and analytic roadmap understanding the priorities and working in an Agile Scrum environment to deliver value to stakeholders.
Business Analyst reports to the Analytic Translator / Product Manager. The employee will work with stakeholders across the dimensions of Enterprise Performance to execute the vision and roadmap. The Business Analyst will collaborate across the entire DAO and play a key role in developing products in an agile method.
Success in the role will be measured by articulating and realizing end business value (e.g., revenue, cost, patient outcomes, physician satisfaction, etc.) and articulating, meeting / exceeding agreed upon DAO operational metrics closely tied to excellence in delivery.
Principal Duties and Responsiblities
- Strong data discovery and investigative skills; data saavy with data analysis capabilities
- Create complex queries and distribute reports that meet business needs of departments at the hospital and across Partners
- Works with the Data Architect, Engineers, Data Stewards to execute data analysis/data profiling as needed
- Gathers and documents business and functional requirements
- Drives requirements gathering sessions, and prepares and delivers presentations and work products/prototypes, as appropriate
- Translates business requirements into solution designs
- Gathers and documents metrics and definitions; responsible for the creation and maintenance of the Data Dictionary during product development and collaboration with Data Stewards to leverage data governance process
- Fully understands current and future state business processes and acts as a key trusted adviser
- Key member of scrum team to develop detailed plan to fill current state/future state gaps
- Executes overall business analysis efforts according to the overall project plan and team needs
- Prepares materials for stakeholder meetings, leads meetings as needed, and follows up with key notes and action items with direction from Analytic Translator
- Performs backlog refinement activities; translates requirements into User Stories with acceptance criteria
- Defines and executes processes based end-user test scenarios
- Assists with test data management and execution oversight
- Assists with functional validation
- Responsible for the creation of communication and/or training documentation as needed
- Minimum of 3-5 years experience as a business analyst and 5 years of relevant experience in Data and Analytics, Healthcare, and / or aligned field
- BA/S required, advanced degree preferred
- Working knowledge of SQL and Business Intelligence tools, such as Business Objects, Microsoft Power BI, Tableau or others preferred
- A strong foundation and experience in working in a complex healthcare environment is required
- Mix of experience on both technical and business side of healthcare
- Experience with data visualization tools
- Experience with Agile and Scrum preferred
Skills, Abilities and Competencies
- Excellent consultative skills, understanding business needs and translating those needs to technical requirements. Clear communication to business and technical leaders
- Storytelling: ability to communicate complex ideas in a way that is digestible to broad audience and leads to decision and action
- Experience with Agile methodology and practices; familiarity with being a BA in an agile environment
- Practices good communication and listening skills; ability to facilitate meetings, ask key questions and document action items
- Ability to analyze business processes, identify problems and offer solutions
- Demonstrates intermediate analytic / query skills and can summarize data findings
- Demonstrates logical, rigorous, and analytical problem-solving/critical thinking approaches
- Proactive and aware of critical dependencies; manages to deadlines and follows through on commitments
- Ability to manage ambiguity, embraces new information and learnings as they arise
- Builds relationships with stakeholders by demonstrating trust and expertise
- Strong project management skills
- Standard office environment with possible local travel to Partners sites, vendors, and conferences
- MGB has implemented special remote working policies due to COVID-19. These policies are subject to change; however, it is currently expected that this position will work remotely (e.g. from home) full time through June 2021