Please note that we are seeking interested candidates for one vacancy on the Strategic Growth and Partnerships team. We are looking forward to engaging with the candidates whose skills and experiences align with either of these two postings. Please review both roles to determine which is the best fit for your application. Thank you!
About B Lab
B Lab is a nonprofit that serves a global movement of people using business as a force for good. B Lab’s initiatives include B Corporation Certification, administration of the B Impact Management programs and software, and advocacy for governance structures like the benefit corporation. B Lab’s vision is of an inclusive, equitable, and regenerative economic system for all people and the planet. To date, there are over 3,300 Certified B Corps in 150 industries and 70 countries, and over 70,000 companies use the B Impact Assessment.
You can find more information about B Lab and our work here.
B Lab at this moment:
As the world grapples with this unprecedented pandemic and its economic impact, at B Lab we are leaning into our 13 years of experience as drivers of economic systems change. Together with our global community, we are identifying and pivoting to effectively drive strategies for systemic change that are critical to advancing a recovery of the global economy. While the challenges we are all facing will be profound, our network unites, organizes and provides infrastructure to more than 3,300 businesses (Certified B Corporations) who are demonstrated leaders in using business to meet human needs, and steward resources in ways that are accountable to stakeholders rather than shareholders.
In this quickly changing time across the globe, the Strategic Growth and Partnerships (SG&P) team is seeking an excellent candidate to join and complement our talented team that sits in the B Lab Global division. We are somewhat unique in that we have more funding and resource leads than we have the staffing to pursue, and adding exceptional candidates to our team is aimed at growing the types of funding and support we are able to provide to our Global Partners in Asia, East Africa, the U.K, Europe, Latin America, Australia and New Zealand. The SG&P team is based in the U.S. and uses teleconferencing and other tools to work closely with these partners across the globe.
This is an exciting leadership opportunity to join a talented, diverse team working to ensure B Lab’s global network has the mission-aligned resources needed to succeed and thrive.
The B Lab Global Network is building and steering a global movement for economic systems change. Our vision is of an inclusive, equitable and regenerative economic system for all people and the planet. Together,we are harnessing the unrivaled capacity of business and the capital markets and putting them to work addressing our greatest challenges: reducing inequality, meeting human needs, addressing the climate crisis, and stewarding our natural resources - at scale.
The Strategic Growth and Partnerships (SG&P) team is a diverse team of 5-6 staff raising mission-aligned funding to support these goals, including the adoption and innovation of our programs in collaboration with our global partners.
The Senior Development Officer reports to Jodeen Olguín-Tayler, the Head of Strategic Growth and Partnerships.
Position Scope: Senior Development Officer
- Work closely with team members to meet your fundraising goals, by developing and managing a portfolio of Funder / Donor Relationships [90%]
- Maintain a portfolio of over 15 active grants and multiple major gifts
- Proactively manage cultivation and relationship management of 15-20 active prospects
- Manage a research pipeline to bring forward additional prospects onto your active prospect list
- Collaborate with other functional team members, and work across teams to deliver on proposals, reports, and advancing prospecting work
- Engage with Global Partners in more than 10 different countries to understand and integrate their philanthropic priorities into proactive and responsive fundraising plans
- Engage, support and contribute to cross-functional work across teams [10%]
- Participate in cross-team / function collaborative projects/initiatives where you bring insight and expertise
- Administrative responsibilities
- Professional Development
Experience and skills necessary to succeed in this role include the following:
- 8+ years of combined experience in the fields of philanthropy, development or sales, or as a non-profit executive; with demonstrated success in external relationship management including:
- 3+ years managing a caseload of 20+ significant donors/institutional funders that include multiple programs/initiatives.
- A 2-year track record as the lead organizational contact with senior staff at foundations, large donors, or donor-advisors resulting in increasing the size of gifts/grants and successfully expanding or shifting the grant purpose.
- Agility and professional experience working across cultural differences. (Preference for candidates who’ve spent 12+ months working or residing in Latin America, East Africa, or East Asia.)
- 5+ years experience working across functions / departments within a multi-disciplinary organization.
- Experience cultivating and closing Major Gifts of over $100,000 for General Operating Support.
- A bachelor’s degree, or professional training equivalent to 6 years of full-time professional experience working in philanthropy, sales, partnerships, development.
- Advanced competencies working with organizational leaders and staff across differences including cultural, racial and class differences.
While not required, please note in your application if you have:
- Previous management experience of staff or consultants (not required, but welcomed)
- Fluency in navigating Google Suite, or a comparable office suite and/or cloud-based file storage
- Exposure to Slack or a comparable inter-office communication tool
- Proficiency with Salesforce or a comparable CRM
- Experience leading long-term collaborative projects/initiatives across multiple organizations.
- Success partnering with board members and leading board committees that advance development and strategic growth initiatives.
For success in this role, the ideal candidate:
- Can demonstrate previous success working in environments with mutual accountability and in giving and receiving direct feedback
- Can demonstrate a commitment to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion with success intervening to promote equity in a system, program or organizational structures.
- Is attuned to areas where they lack experience or expertise and proactive in seeking other perspectives, and able to accept the limitations of their blindspots and individual perspective.
- Enjoys pursuing specific independent goals and accountabilities, while contributing to the team’s and organization’s success.
- Will have experience or be a quick learner with Salesforce or a comparable CRM; and with tools that facilitate remote working and work with global partners, including video conferencing; and online project management tools such as Asana.
B Lab offers a competitive compensation plan that includes:
- An annual salary in the range of $85,000 - $95,000
- Excellent health benefits package including access to medical, vision and dental coverage
- Unlimited sick and personal time - if you need it, use it
- Paid time off for vacation
- Flexibility to work from home several days a week as agreed to with your supervisor.
- Flexible work schedule to accommodate care-taking responsibilities or other family obligations.
- 9 paid holidays (2020) and 3 days of full office closure (2020)
- After your first year of employment - paid time off for community service, paid parental leave, and a professional development budget.
- A warm, inviting and all-around fun work culture!
We require the following in order to consider your application:
- Resume with an accompanying 1 page cover note that speaks to how you meet the experience and criteria outlined above.
- An example of fundraising material you drafted in the past 12 months that you are especially proud of. Please include a 4-8 sentence introduction to give it context and include an explanation of the role you played in creating this and the other roles/people involved or collaborating with you. (Please note: This sample will not be shared with anyone outside of the hiring team. If you deem it appropriate, we encourage you to black-out details identifying organizations, funders, or any other sensitive information. Anonymizing or otherwise protecting sensitive information will not have a negative impact on your application.)
We will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis starting on March 30th and will continue until we identify a suitable candidate pool.
All applications will be reviewed by our team. Due to capacity constraints we will not be able to provide informational interviews. Candidates we intend to advance in the process will receive an update no later than April 20th.
We strive to provide all candidates with an equitable and accessible recruitment process. Candidates who advance in the process will do interviews by both phone and video conferencing. If we can offer accommodations for you in the recruitment process, or if you have feedback on how to make our recruiting more equitable or accessible, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
B Lab believes an equitable and inclusive work environment and a diverse, empowered team are key to achieving our mission.
At B Lab Global, we know diversity, equity, and inclusion are directly aligned with our fundamental belief that people are inherently capable, and too often lack opportunities to excel in life and work. We know that a diverse workforce allows us to see problems in more nuanced ways. We actively recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. As an equal opportunity employer that welcomes people from all experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply, we strive to foster an environment where all staff can bring their whole selves to work by their own definition.
B Lab provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, B Lab complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.