We’re looking for a Senior Menswear Design Director. Ideally, you’re an old hand in apparel with a strong background in translating classic Americana and workwear into a modern vernacular. You don’t need to be a denim and knitwear wiz, but it certainly doesn’t hurt. You’ll be working under our Head Designer to build 4 collections a year. Our blocks are pretty straight forward and dialed in, but you’ll really need a good eye for fabric development, color, and wash process. If pocket white, crocking, and the finer points of feeder plates are always on your mind, reach out to us. Check out the bullet points below for all the details—we really look forward to meeting you.
Position will be in charge of the menswear design team; executing the development of 4 annual collections. More specifically:
- Lead creative research and concept of 4 annual collections including the development of fabric, color, and wash process.
- Set direction for the design team by category and present the line to senior management and department head.
- Oversee category management and merchandising expansion
- Prepare design presentations for review meetings
- Attend fittings, review prototypes and overview design budgets
- Partner with design and production departments to ensure that all products and designs are aligned with the values and goals of the organization
- Understand company aesthetic and implement this throughout the design team on a daily basis
- Responsible for the organization and delivery of all relevant design and concept information to retail teams.
- Responsible for the management, selection, and training of staff in partnership with the VP of Design
The Ideal Candidate:
- 7+ years design experience with extensive work in menswear design. Experience in cut and sew knits and denim is a plus, but not required
- Highly creative concept designer
- Able to translate creative and design concept to both design and retail teams.
- Highly proficient in fabric development and wash process
- Highly proficient in Illustrator
- An in-depth knowledge and passion for American vintage, military, and workwear styling.
- An entrepreneurial approach to taking on responsibilities and developing product
- Creative mindset with a high level of personal taste and highly focused on details.
- High level of understanding for garment construction and fit.
- Able to travel both domestic and internationally
- Highly motivated & entrepreneurial.
- Highly Creative.
- Possesses humility.
- Concept driven.
- Detail Oriented.
- Hard working.
Buck Mason designs updated, modern American classics for daily wear. Founded in 2013 by Sasha Koehn and Erik Allen, who were neighbors in Venice, California, they initially set up shop in a 350 square foot garage off Abbot Kinney Boulevard. Using old school manufacturing techniques combined with modern technology, they took an architectural approach to product with the goal of making fashion less complicated, building each piece to last beyond a single season. Much of their product is made in the USA, where you can often find Sasha and Erik on the factory floor.