Child Care Teacher
NEW CHILD CARE FACILITY NOW OPEN! POSITIONS AVAILABLE WITH GREAT PAY AND BENEFITS!
Assist in implementation of daily activities for the childcare centers. Provide consistent and nurturing care on a daily basis.
REPORTS TO: Program Coordinator or Supervisor
POSITION SUPERVISES: Teacher Assistants
- Set up and maintain a safe, clean, organized classroom that is child centered and conductive to a child's need for both active and quiet play.
- Plan and implement daily activities that promote and enhance the children's cognitive, language, large and small motor, and social/emotional development. The daily plan must include opportunity for structured outdoor play when weather permits.
- Submit weekly lesson plans to supervisor.
- Monitor and be aware of the children's whereabouts at all times.
- Model and encourage nurturing, responsive care-giving and appropriate guidance of children.
- Ensure the health and well-being of children through frequent and sanitary diaper changing and toileting practice, and for older children promoting the development of healthy personal hygiene practices by modeling, by providing a routine that allows for supervised use of the restroom, assisting children when necessary, and for all children ensuring proper hand washing before meals and snacks.
- Educate children in healthy nutritional habits through activities, modeling, and meals serviced family style. Infant teachers will follow sanitary food and formula preparations individualized for each child according to parental instruction.
- Communicate with parents verbally and in writing informing them of classroom activities, their child's strengths and accomplishments, and discussing concerns if necessary.
- Conduct on-going assessments of each individual child's progress and hold biannual conferences with parents to discuss their child's progress.
- Demonstrate professionalism in interactions with children, parents, coworkers, and supervisors as outline in Guidelines for Professional Behavior.
- Supervise teacher aides and volunteers in the classroom and conduct annual performance appraisals for teacher assistants.
- Get initial Social Learning Theory training and/or refresher annually
- Models Social Learning Theory practices
- Jointly responsible for assuring a clean/attractive environment for children and families.
- Keep accurate classroom records of attendance, meal counts, medications administered, accidents and incidents.
- Sanitize tables, countertops, toys and other areas as necessary.
- Attend all training's required by licensing and any additional training opportunities deemed important in order to help meet the need of children and families.
- Assist the supervisors and other staff in meeting the requirements of the Child and Adult Care Food Program and the licensing standards required by the State of South Dakota for Licensed Child Care Centers as they pertain to your classroom and community areas of the building.
- Other duties as assigned.
HOURS: Full Time, 40 hours per week
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:
- Prefer Bachelor's Degree or Associate's degree in early childhood education, child development or elementary education, or Child Development Associate credential.
- Must demonstrate an understanding of the developmental needs of young children along with the ability to interact with and care for young children in a manner that promotes and enhances growth and development.
- Must demonstrate good communication skills.
- Valid driver's license.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Stand up to 95% of the day.
- Assume postures in low level positions that best allow physical and visual contact with children.
- Able to sustain a high level of energy.
- Bend to perform the various tasks numerous times throughout the day.
- Stoop, sit on the floor.
- Have the agility to move from a seated position to a standing position promptly to respond to emergency situations.
- Perform all activities with children, i.e. jump, dance, walk, and run, etc. for extended periods of time.
- Possess acceptable hearing and visual capabilities in order to monitor the environment and children's well being.
- Both indoor and outdoor environment are typically found in a childcare facility. Depending upon activities and season, may be required to be outdoors for regular, prolonged activities.
Volunteers of America, Dakotas promotes to employ and advance in employment individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, and to treat qualified individuals without discrimination on the basis of their physical or mental disability.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor