UnityPoint Health - St. Luke's
The nursing assistant assists in patient care throughout all nursing areas. Duties include assisting patients with their ADL's, transporting patients in various types of equipment and ambulation, documentation of care and treatments done and observes patients for safety and condition change and reports to appropriate staff.
Delivery of Care - 70%
- Assists patients with ADL's according to hospital procedures, reports all abnormal findings and changes in patient condition to Registered Nurse in charge of patient. Assists with ambulation of patients, and uses assist devices as appropriate to protect patient and staff member.
- Assists with restocking of rooms and maintain a safe and clean environment. Follows all established infection control policies, and recognizes role in providing safety to the patient.
Documentation - 20%
- Documents vital signs, weights, activity, intake and outputs, and ADL care given to patient in computer.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria - 10%
- Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
- Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
- Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
- Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
- Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
- Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
- High school graduate or equivalent
- Previous hospital or nursing home experience preferred
- Certified nursing assistant or completion of training in nursing school that covers nursing assistant type duties.
- Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) within 90 days of hire.
- CPI within 90 days of hire and then bi-annually after
- Completion of one stroke awareness/recognition activity prior to the end of orientation and annually
- Basic computer knowledge
- Ability to deal efficiently and effectively with a wide variety of individuals.
- Knowledge of basic medical terminology is preferred.
- Ability to move and lift patients and use appropriate equipment.
- Ability to communicate effectively and document information accurately.
- Effective interpersonal relationships and communication skills (verbal, non-verbal and written).