WHAT WE'RE ABOUT
We're creating an airline people love. It begins with each Alaska Airlines employee, bringing unique strengths and energy to our work in the air and on the ground. Every day, we go beyond what's expected and reach for the remarkable, together.
A Senior Solutions Architect defines the long-term strategy and leads in the design and implementation of technology solutions across the IT division. This role provides the sole expertise in architectural design and implementation, while providing guidance and solutions to software engineers, system engineers, and other technical teams throughout the lifecycle of the products the support
Scope & Complexity
- This individual contributor is the sole subject matter expert in solutions architect engineering for Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air. This role exercises considerable latitude and initiative to solve complex problems in the design and implementation of technology solutions.
- Defines the long-term strategy for the design, implementation, and documentation of infrastructure, products, applications, and/or systems in use throughout the airline.
- Communicates high-level technical guidance to ensure technology efforts adhere to current architectural standards and guidelines; recommend modifications where needed; and ensure new efforts fit within the overall technology strategy.
- Explores, evaluates, recommends, and acts as the lead subject matter in emerging technology trends and proof-of-concept efforts.
- Leads technical architecture assessments of potential technologies.
- Develops and influences decisions across company and several levels up for improvements to technology architectures, including cost analyses.
- Oversees appropriate solution cost models for economic evaluations.
- Leads reviews of solutions to ensure architectures are sound and fit the technical strategies of the organization.
- Creates and implements technology standards, methodologies, processes, and guidelines.
- Provides key inputs to RFPs from the technology perspective and input to the final recommendation.
- Guides solution designs, methodologies, processes, and IT technical guidelines.
Job-Specific Skills & Education
- Minimum 7 years of documented work experience as a designer and implementer of a variety of commercial systems, applications, and/or technical architectures.
- A Bachelor of Arts or Science degree, with a focus in computer science, systems analysis, or related discipline, or an additional two years of training/experience in lieu of this degree.
- A broad set of experiences with different technical/software architectures.
- Experience evaluating and providing assessments of commercial and custom solution architectures.
- Experience creating and leading policy and governance efforts with respect to software development and technical infrastructure.
- Proven experience architecting, implementing, and reviewing large system implementations.
- Experience evaluating RFPs from the technological perspective and providing recommendations.
- Proven experiences in quickly learning new technologies and methodologies.
- Demonstrated ability in effectively communicating technical concepts to a wide variety of audiences.
- Proven ability to identify, analyze, and solve complex business and technical challenges.
- High levels of curiosity, initiative, integrity, and flexibility.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook).
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- Minimum age of 18.
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
- Experience with business requirements gathering/analysis techniques.
- Highly organized with a demonstrated systematic approach to carrying out assignments.
- Experience producing proofs of concept with different technologies to accurately arrive at working solution to a defined opportunity.
- Deep background in one or more of the following areas: computing platforms (cloud, virtualization, etc.), application development, middleware platforms, or database management.
Job-Specific Leadership Expectations
Embody our values to own safety, do the right thing, be kind-hearted, deliver performance, and be remarkable.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Horizon Air and Alaska Airlines are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Horizon Air and Alaska Airlines will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with applicable Federal, State, and local laws.
Horizon Air and Alaska Airlines participate in E-Verify, a service of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and Social Security Administration (SSA), where required.
Job ID 35744
Location Seattle, WA
FLSA Status Exempt