Coastal Villages Longline, a subsidiary of Coastal Villages Region Fund, is currently seeking applications for a Mate to operate one of our Freezer Longliners. The primary job responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, working on-board our fishing vessel operating off the western coasts of Washington and Alaska. The Mate is expected to safely and effectively navigate the vessel when the Captain is not on duty, assist to supervise and discipline the crew, assist in conducting safety drills, and fulfill all duties regarding reporting requirements and paperwork. This position may also be responsible for managing shipyard work, loading and unloading supplies on the vessel, cleaning vessel and equipment, and performing other duties. Applicants are required to provide current USCG License with STCW endorsements and other merchant mariner documentation as necessary. This position requires one year experience as Mate of a Freezer Longliner in the Bearing Sea fishery or three years as Mate on another Bering Sea commercial vessel. The position also requires a minimum of two years or more experience as a deckhand or bosun on a commercial fishing vessel. NOTE: We are currently accepting applications; however, we are not actively recruiting for this position.
Specific Duties Include:
- Posses the ability to navigate the vessel while setting and hauling gear and/or securing to other vessels or docks.
- Be familiar with government reporting requirements, record maintenance, offload paperwork and compliance of maritime laws.
- Maintain safe practices aboard the ship and assist with conducting safety drills.
- Assist with supervising deck operations and handling of gear.
- Conduct training when needed.
- Must have experience with USCG Oil Transfer Procedures and documentation.
- Successfully passing Basic & Advanced Firefighting, 24 Hour HAZWOPER, Drills, Medical Care Provider and other courses as per company policy and regulatory requirements.
- Maintain a safe and clean working and living environment.
- Must be able to work 12-16 hour, variable shifts, in adverse weather conditions, and up to 24 hour shifts as required by fishing and market conditions.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Participates in drills, required safety training, and any other company required courses.
- This position reports directly to the Captain
- Seasonal Crew Contract: Status: Non Exempt Seasonal
- 401k and Health Benefits upon eligibility
- Coastal Villages Region Fund has a zero tolerance Drug and Alcohol Policy and participates in the E-Verify Program.
- Candidate must be a non-smoker
Selected applicants will be required to successfully pass a post-offer background, drug test and reference check. Applicants will also be required to sign an affidavit stating they are a non-smoker. Applicants must be willing and able to be away from home for extended periods of time, and must be willing to live and work in a cramped environment, and work as a team member at all times. In addition, good communication skills, self motivation, and a positive attitude are important to ensure a high quality product and the safety of all crew members.
- Crew member must be capable of working consecutive, long and variable work shifts for extended periods of time. Shifts typically range from 12 to 16 hours per day with periodic breaks depending on work demands, production requirements, availability of fish, and travel schedules.
- The work is strenuous and sometimes hazardous due to exposure to operating machinery, mechanical parts, fumes, chemicals, pressurized fluids, vibration and with the vessel operating under all types of weather conditions including extreme cold. This means standing, walking and maintaining balance in rough seas or other types of weather.
- Both hands must be capable of grabbing, holding or gripping rope, rails, equipment and vessel structures for frequent periods of time. Forceful grasping along with repetitive finger and hand use is occasional.
- Applicant must also be able to occasionally sit, kneel, crouch and crawl. Applicants must be able to climb up and down, safely ascend and descend ladders, work in small and confined spaces, and pass all safety test requirements.
- Applicants must be able to occasionally lift 11-20 pounds from the floor to the waist and above the shoulders and on a limited basis lift 50 pounds in the same manner.
- Applicants must be able to occasionally push, pull and carry 11-20 pounds and on a limited basis, 50 pounds in the same manner.
- Specific vision requirements for this position are that the applicant needs to have peripheral, distance and depth perception abilities. Candidate also needs the ability to determine shades, colors and shadows.
- Applicants will be required to gain medical clearance for use of a tight fitting respirator.
BASIC MENTAL FUNCTIONS:
- Applicants must be able to perform intermediate math; add, subtract, multiply, divide, handle fractions and decimals; all on numbers between 1-1000. Applicant must also be able to understand, read, speak and write in English.
- Applicant must possess the ability to apply these basic functions to American currency, weight, distance and volumes.
- Applicant needs the ability to perform these basic functions in stressful, noisy environments and in the adverse weather conditions as mentioned above.
Upon receiving a conditional offer, selected applicants may be required to have physical examinations. The results of those tests may require a licensed healthcare provider and selected applicant to determine whether reasonable accommodations can be structured to allow for safe performance of the job described above while in a remote and hazardous location.