Do you believe that all lives have equal value? Are you passionate about delivering Business Intelligence products and services to improve the lives of people around the world? Are you interested in applying your passion for business intelligence, strong business acumen and technical expertise to amplify the work being done at the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation? If so, you might be a great fit for this exciting senior leadership role.
We are looking for a Deputy Director of Enterprise Business Intelligence to join our Information Technology leadership team. The mission of our team is to unleash the power of digital platforms to modernize the core work of the foundation, accelerate achieving our goals and amplify the impact the foundation can have on the world. This Deputy Director role is accountable for leading a multi-disciplinary technology team focused on delivering integrated business intelligence platforms and products that are scalable, secure, modern and championed by users for helping them make better data driven decisions. This role will also partner closely with other leaders across the foundation to build coalitions, drive adoption of enterprise data standards and information governance processes.
A successful candidate will have experience envisioning, designing, deploying and supporting information systems and products. An entrepreneurial spirit and a passion for building great user-centric digital experiences is a must. The business intelligence needs of the foundation are always evolving so you must be comfortable leading teams through ambiguity and working across a complex set of stakeholders to understand and prioritize collective success. The ideal candidate will be able to leverage their leadership experience and business acumen to build trusted relationships with business partners while providing the clarity and direction needed by technical teams to deliver elegant solutions to the most important foundation business intelligence priorities.
Leadership and Culture
We believe that energized people, working well together, fueled by great leadership in an inclusive environment in which they thrive, will do phenomenal things.
- Partner with key business leaders to continuously evaluate our enterprise business intelligence program needs, build coalitions of support and implement a roadmap that will support the foundation's strategic and operational goals.
- Develop key cross-foundation relationships across a complex matrixed organization to ensure that technical and product delivery aligns with business value and incorporates user feedback and goals.
- Build and develop the technology team. Lead the team to develop and maintain career/professional development plans, annual goals, performance reviews, one-on-one meetings, staff meetings, and mentoring. Empower and motivate team members to be our future leaders.
- Lead the continued development of the foundation's business intelligence technology platform, with responsibility for the foundation's growing data warehouse, BI tools and self-service reporting strategy.
- Collaborate with business partners and product owners to create modern, integrated enterprise wide BI products that are championed by users for helping them make better data driven decisions.
- Ensure schedules and commitments are met, resolving technical or operational problems in order to unblock delivery. Manage team assignments, project and operational budgets, operational processes, project processes, product service quality.
- Serve as subject matter expert on both current and emerging BI trends such as cognitive, collaborative, embedded and real-time business intelligence.
- Partner with IT leaders and application owners to ensure consistent data availability, data quality and data accessibility across systems.
- Partner with customers to evangelize and drive adoption of our BI products.
- Manage and optimize vendor partnerships to scale delivery to meet an ever-changing demand landscape.
Core Knowledge and Skills
- At least ten (10) years of progressive experience in a BI product or technology role.
- 5+ years of experience leading teams, ideally in the BI space.
- A passion to mentor others, develop and grow your team and organize resources in the most impactful way.
- A strong background in BI, a passion for BI technology and the professional affiliations and networks stay current.
- Experience delivering a globally available cloud-based reporting and analytics platform, preferably on Microsoft Azure.
- Outstanding organizational and analytical skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to articulate ideas to both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Strong program management skills.
- Demonstrated business acumen and the ability to apply technology solutions to solve business problems.
- Ability to work effectively in a highly matrixed and ambiguous environment.
- Experience in delivering self-service analytics solutions.
- Strong teamwork and interpersonal skills; ability to communicate, formally present and persuade at all management levels.
- Ability to set priorities and objectives, then plan and organize the team in order to meet them.
- Experience managing a large operations and capital budget.
- Manage complex, multi-vendor relationships, negotiations, and contracts.
- Proven flexibility to navigate between independent work, collaboration, leadership provided direction and consensus-building.
Education and Experience
Advanced degree with 10+ years of experience, or equivalent experience.
- Applicants for this role will only be considered if they possess current US Work Authorization, and do not require employer-sponsored VISA support to begin or remain in this role.
As part of our standard hiring process for new employees, employment with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation will be contingent upon successful completion of a background check.
The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is dedicated to the belief that all lives have equal value. We're committed to creating a workplace where employees thrive both personally and professionally. We also believe our employees should reflect the rich diversity of the global populations we aim to serve—in race, gender, age, cultures and beliefs—and we support this diversity through all of our employment practices.
All applicants and employees who are drawn to serve the mission of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation will enjoy equality of opportunity and fair treatment without regard to:
- Sexual Orientation
- Gender Identity
- Gender Expression
- National Origin
- Genetic Information
- Veteran Status
- Marital Status
- Prior Protected Activity