Street Maintenance Worker I
The City of Lenexa, Kansas Municipal Services Department is currently seeking highly motivated individuals who are passionate about serving the public and delivering the highest level of professional service as a street maintenance worker I. The Municipal Services Department is a nationally accredited agency by the American Public Works Association.
This position is the entry level position in the Street Maintenance Worker career development track, which includes the Maintenance Worker I, II and III levels. Work includes maintaining street surface, road base, curb and gutter, trails, sidewalks and snow and ice control. Work is performed under direct supervision and is frequently reviewed by visual inspection of completed tasks.
This opportunity includes working to achieve and promote municipal services mission, which is to provide the community with outstanding public service by maintaining the city’s infrastructure with integrity and innovation. Work is performed with latitude for the exercise of independent judgment and action to achieve and promote the City’s values of integrity, teamwork, service, vision, dedication, and caring.
Essential Functions, Duties, and Responsibilities:
- Performs a variety of manual labor including: pick and shovel work, asphalt patching, crack sealing, pouring concrete, spreading rock, loading or unloading trucks, transporting construction material, cutting tall grass and weeds, operating snow removal equipment, compacting road base, installing pipe, and cleaning drainage structures.
- Operates trucks, tandem axle dump trucks, mowing equipment, jack hammers, snow removal equipment, rollers, motor graders, skid steer loaders, backhoes, front end loaders, concrete saws, hand and power tools, etc.
- Responds to all work orders assigned by superiors.
- Reports all unsafe or potentially dangerous situations to supervisor, practices safe work habits.
Education, Experience, Qualifications or Special Requirements
- High school diploma or G.E.D.; and two years of work experience, preferably in heavy construction.
- Subject to after hour call out for snow and other emergencies.
- Valid driver’s license with clean driving record.
- Possession a valid Class A commercial driver's license (CDL) or the ability to obtain one within ninety (120) days.
Knowledge of construction practices and familiarity with construction materials (especially concrete, rock, and asphalt).
Ability and skill to operate maintenance and construction equipment.
Knowledge of maintenance methods and practices for street, storm drain systems and sidewalks.
Ability to follow written and oral instructions.
- Knowledge of procedures to handle hazardous materials, and work zones safely.
- Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Office products experience preferred
SALARY: Starting salary is $14.47. The City offers a highly competitive compensation package including health, dental, life, short-term disability; state defined benefit pension plan, city matching defined contribution retirement plan, educational reimbursement, access to a free on-site health clinic and much more.
Offers of employment are conditional upon successful completion of physical, drug screen and background investigation.
TO APPLY for this position please complete an on-line application. Be sure to attach your resume reflecting any work history you may have during the past 10 years. For best consideration apply immediately as applications are accepted until filled.