VUI Designer, Alexa Proactive
Alexa is the voice-first personal assistant AI available through over 100 million devices and counting.
Every single day, she is getting smarter and adding new skills like tracking fitness, games, and more. But did you know that Alexa can reach out in the moment to help make your life easier and delightful? From letting you know that your most recent Amazon delivery has arrived, to suggesting a new game to play with the kids, to reminding you it’s time to reorder coffee, Alexa can help you stay on top of your to do list and enjoy your free time.
A day in the life
You'll spend each day collaborating with UX designers, product managers, and engineering teams to create and deliver proactive Alexa voice experiences that simplify our customers' lives. You'll also consult with partner teams to help them plug into our products and brainstorm new opportunities.
About the hiring group
The Alexa Proactive Information Experiences team is looking for a VUI Designer to define compelling voice experiences that help Alexa help YOU, without you having to ask every time you need something. We welcome innovators and collaborators, as you will regularly find yourself in uncharted territory where the key to your success will be to get ahead of the curve, and you’ll be creating solutions for exciting and ambitious ideas for which no interaction paradigm currently exists.
You will partner closely with UX designers, product, and engineering teams focused on proactive experiences across Alexa endpoints and channels. You will define concept and execution, articulating end-to-end experience, and drive that vision into solid design deliverables such as user interface designs for voice and screen, flows, sample dialogues, flow charts, prompt tables, interaction models, and prototypes. You will advise on roadmaps, and your work will translate to new patterns and best practices. You will work on new end-customer experiences and also create CX frameworks that allow the many Alexa domain teams to create their own proactive experiences.
The ideal candidate has Voice User Interface (VUI) design experience. GUI design experience and previous notifications experience is a bonus.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
· 4+ years of experience as a voice designer, product designer, user experience designer, or multimodal designer.
· Experience with voice or multimodal speech interfaces
· Bachelor's degree in design, human-computer interaction (HCI), linguistics, or equivalent professional experience.
· A background in voice design, conversational design, multimodal design, product design, UX design, and/or user research.
· An internet-accessible portfolio of your work. Please provide as part of your resume.
· Experience shipping innovative, successful consumer voice products
· Experience with speech and language technologies, e.g. voice user interfaces (VUI), speech recognition (ASR), language understanding (grammars or NLU), text to speech (TTS)
· Ability to prototype voice user experiences with readily available tools
· Exceptional communication (written and verbal), collaboration, and presentation skills.
· Demonstrated ability to influence product teams and product decisions via design and research.
· A track record of innovative work from idea discovery & brainstorming through to delivery & learning from live product experiences. You should be able to tell us why you made decisions you made in past work, and how you approach learning & validation in new spaces.
· Ability to manage ambiguity, work autonomously, and multi-task in an agile environment.