System Development Engineer II, AWS Traffic Engineering
AWS Traffic Engineering’s goal is to provide a one-stop-shop for all things throttling - starting from rule configuration, to enforcement at the network and application layer, and lastly analytics/analysis/verification on production data. The Throttle Enforcement team is responsible for developing and maintaining the AWS Throttling backend enforcement systems. These systems give AWS Service owners near infinite throttle scaling with virtually zero latency impact.
Come and join AWS Traffic Engineering! We’re a relatively new team building out systems that will give anyone owning services within AWS the ability to manage throughput and protect their service from downtime due to excessive load. We stand to protect the largest AWS services operating at the highest scale in the cloud. This is a challenging problem space, operating at the limits of scale in the cloud. We make use of cellular architecture to reduce blast radius. We write many services in Rust to achieve our required high throughput. We push ourselves to reduce our external dependencies to keep a high level of stability. This is your opportunity to work on a system that will improve availability for nearly every system in AWS. The chance to make a large impact across the company is immense!
AWS has the most services and more features within those services, than any other cloud provider–from infrastructure technologies like compute, storage, and databases–to emerging technologies, such as machine learning and artificial intelligence, data lakes and analytics, and Internet of Things. AWS Traffic Engineering is situated in the AWS Platform organization. AWS Platform is the glue that holds the AWS ecosystem together. Whether its Identity features such as access management and sign on, cryptography, console, builder & developer tools, and even projects like automating all of our contractual billing systems, AWS Platform is always innovating with the customer in mind. The AWS Platform team sustains over 750 million transactions per second.
We’re looking for builders to solve real world problems on a global scale, own their systems end-to-end and influence the direction of our technology that impacts hundreds of millions customers around the world. At Amazon an SysDE can expect to design flexible and scalable solutions, and work on some of the most complex challenges in large-scale computing by utilizing your skills in data structures, algorithms, and object oriented programming. Joining AWS Traffic Engineering offers you the opportunity to work on a small, diverse and vibrant development team building secure, reliable, and scalable features that help AWS services to be more resilient.
You will have the opportunity to drive mission critical projects, work with senior and principal engineers and mentor junior level developers. You will get in on the ground floor of building throttling software systems that are core to the operation of AWS!
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded professional and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Key job responsibilities
- Collaborate with teams of engineers in the design, implementation, and deployment of successful internet-scale systems and services.
- Functionally decompose complex problems into simple, straight-forward solutions.
- Understand system inter-dependencies and limitations.
- Share your knowledge of the most effective performance, scalability, architecture, and engineering patterns and methods.
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science with 3+ years of experience in a Software Engineering, DevOps, or Systems Engineering capacity.
- 2+ years of experience in automation via scripting and configuration management tools (Chef, Puppet, Ansible, Salt, CloudFormation, Terraform)
- 2+ years of Bash experience plus knowledge of at least one scripting language (Python, Perl, Ruby)
- 2+ years of experience designing software systems - from high-availability large-scale distributed systems to bespoke scripted solutions.
- 2+ years of demonstrated UNIX (preferably Linux) systems engineering skills.
- 6+ years of hands on work experience in Software Engineering, Dev Opps, and/or Systems Development
- Strong Linux experience from provisioning to performance tuning, and a solid grasp on operating system fundamentals.
- Understanding and demonstrated experience working with core internet technologies (e.g. TCP/IP).
- A Graduate degree or Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Understanding of data structures, algorithms and their performance.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.