Software Development Engineer, AWS Commerce Platform
AWS has the most services and more features within those services, than any other cloud provider–from infrastructure technologies like compute, storage, and databases–to emerging technologies, such as machine learning and artificial intelligence, data lakes and analytics, and Internet of Things. AWS Platform is the glue that holds the AWS ecosystem together. Whether its Identity features such as access management and sign on, cryptography, console, builder & developer tools, and even projects like automating all of our contractual billing systems, AWS Platform is innovating with the customer in mind. The AWS Platform team sustains over 750 million transactions per second.
The AWS Commerce Platform provides the back and front-end services that enable AWS customers to purchase AWS services and understand and manage their infrastructure costs. Our teams tackle some of the hardest scalability, performance, and distributed computing challenges in the world. We create uniques solutions for our highly secured isolated regions. We build highly scalable and responsive UI console for a strong user experience and API first development.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren’t focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we’re happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced life—both in and outside of work.
We have a formal mentor search application that lets you find a mentor that works best for you based on location, job family, job level etc. Your manager can also help you find a mentor or two, because two is better than one. In addition to formal mentors, we work and train together so that we are always learning from one another, and we celebrate and support the career progression of our team members.
Our team is diverse! We drive towards an inclusive culture and work environment. We are intentional about attracting, developing, and retaining amazing talent from diverse backgrounds. Team members are active in Amazon’s 10+ affinity groups, sometimes known as employee resource groups, which bring employees together across businesses and locations around the world. These range from groups such as the Black Employee Network, Latinos at Amazon, Indigenous at Amazon, Families at Amazon, Amazon Women and Engineering, LGBTQ+, Warriors at Amazon (Military), Amazon People With Disabilities, and more.
Key job responsibilities
- Design and implement software solutions using software development best practices
- Be a technical mentor to junior engineers on the team
- Identify operational deficiencies and implement operational improvements
A day in the life
Our team is building solutions to improve the communication between operations teams and service teams. We work closely with Amazon Dedicated Cloud Operations teams to understand their pain points and work to make their lives easier. As an SDE II on this team, you will help us design and implement systems to empower service teams and operations teams to define their working relationships in code.
- 1+ years of experience contributing to the system design or architecture (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
- 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
- Programming experience with at least one software programming language.
- Experience building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project
- Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.