Software Development Engineer, S3
Amazon S3 User Security is responsible for the development and operation of the core security capabilities that S3 customers utilize to configure and monitor access to their Access Points, buckets, and objects.
Managing trillions of objects in storage, retrieving them in sub-x ms, building software that deploys to tens of thousands of hosts, achieving 99.999999999% (you didn’t read that wrong, that’s 11 nines!) durability. These are just a few of the numbers that give you a sense of the scale of the exciting problems you will find every day working in Simple Storage Service (S3). Amazon S3 powers businesses across the globe that make the lives of consumers better daily. Whether its electronic content delivered to your home, technology that betters your remote working experience, allows you to plan travel to exotic places or simply get stuff delivered to your home.
*Inclusive Team Culture*
Here at AWS, S3 we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-live balance. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
*Mentorship & Career Growth*
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Key job responsibilities
A Software Development Engineer imagines, builds and maintains request path authentication and authorization components supporting the development and operation of S3’s APIs and customer facing security controls. They work with customers to identify ways to simplify security controls and meet operations, governance and compliance requirements. An SDEII is capable of understanding S3 and IAM’s permission and access control model including the multiple network perspectives available in AWS, which requires the ability to think in the abstract with a high level of detail. They build systems and libraries that support S3 API development and delivery, integrating with the web development frameworks and collaborating with teams to define and implement their Auth model designs. Successful Engineers in this role tend to regularly demonstrate strong Deliver Results, Earns Trust, Bias for Action, Ownership and Learn and Be Curious.
About the team
S3 User Security, under the S3 Frontend organization, is responsible for the development and operation of the core security capabilities that S3 customers utilize to configure and monitor access to their Access Points, buckets, and objects. S3 User Security owns S3 request-plane components to authenticate and authorize customer requests, is responsible for the semantics, storage, and evaluation of customer-specified security policies, and creates standards for authentication and authorization across S3's 120+ APIs. S3 User Security also leads cross-service initiatives, with teams such as AWS Identity to drive improvements to customer data security AWS-wide.
- 1+ years of experience contributing to the system design or architecture (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
- 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
- Programming experience with at least one software programming language.
- 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
- Experience with Agile development, Test-Driven Development and Continuous Deployment
- Design and architecture knowledge as well as familiarity with object oriented analysis and design patterns (OOA/OOD)
- Experience with at least one linux based operating system (RedHat Linux, CoreOS, Amazon Linux etc.)
- Ability to effectively communicate technical challenges and solutions
- Hands-on experience building APIs on a modern cloud (Google Cloud, Amazon AWS, Azure)
- An interest in cloud and object security
- The ability to decompose large-scale distributed systems and figure out failure scenarios and debug them in an efficient manner.
- You are passionate about efficiency, availability, quality and scalability.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.