Software Development Engineer II
Recommending products to Amazon customers – yes, that is the space that we work in. We blend a variety of disciplines (such as recommender systems, data mining, NLP, big data and ML) to turn an intractable problem into a hard problem. For example: just because someone bought a purple dress does not mean that purple is the right color for them for all seasons; neither does it mean that you should recommend purple accessories. Just when someone buys a sofa, which rug in Amazon’s vast selection would it make most sense to pair with it? While there are other recommendation problems out there, none of them capture the scale of the problem, the rapidly changing inventory along with unique problems of fit, fabric and finish.
So how do we do it? We are a full stack team that own components all the way from dataset generation, high performance service oriented architecture to building great UIs that can surface recommendations in a pleasing and aesthetically appealing way. We work with engineers, scientists and product managers. As for techniques, we experiment with collaborative filtering, distributional similarities, and a diverse set of supervised learning algorithms. If you want to be on the cutting edge of personalization in e-commerce retail and reaching customers in a unique and valuable space, this is the team to be on! We have the mandate and ability to effect big changes, we just need the right person to begin.
As a Software Dev Engineer, you will work with other applied scientists, dev teams, engineers and product managers. You will own and build infrastructure that accesses terabyte of data to produce and deliver datasets with low latency and high reliability. The goal is to innovate new discovery features that can make a huge impact on the customer experience. What recommendations data could you use to make search more personalized? How can we use product similarity and sales data to augment and enrich our recommendations? How can we influence customers to drive long term value to Amazon?
We are looking for people who innovate, love solving hard problems, understand both technology and business, and have a great judgement skills. You will be able to build systems that will impact millions of customers and create multi-million dollar revenue opportunities, ship in just a couple of weeks and instantly measure the impact of what you have developed. And be able to go home and show your friends and family how you change the world!
* Be right a lot by choosing the right science investment. Stop when it doesn't solve customer problems
* Translate business vision to technology solutions
* Define the strategy and roadmap for your team
* Build software that easily extends to meet the high growth of Amazon's business and capabilities
* Analyze and extract relevant information from large amounts of Amazon's historical business data to help automate and optimize key features and processes.
* Work closely with stakeholders to optimize various business operations
· Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
· 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
· 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
· Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent experience.
· 3+ years of experience in software development that have been successfully delivered to customers
· Strong Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
· Mastery of at least one modern programming language such as Java, C/C++
· Masters in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent experience
· 5+ years of experience developing large complex software and delivering successfully to customers.
· Proven ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project
· Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs.
· Experience mentoring and training others on complex technical issues
· Plus but not required: Experience with distributed machine learning systems, Spark, Hadoop, Elastic Map Reduce (EMR)
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us