Sr. Software Development Manager, Sustainability
Passionate to make the world a better place by creating technical solutions to improve the world? Interested in a high impact role? Enjoy environments which allow you and your team to work independently, try new ideas, and create inventive solutions? Amazon has the combination of opportunity, drive, and resources to build the next generation of industry-leading solutions that drive Sustainability through the core of our operations and beyond, using a wide range of data-driven and intelligent technological and business capabilities.
Amazon’s Sustainability Technology team is looking for an entrepreneurial, strategic and seasoned technical leader to join the organization. The ideal candidate has a passion for innovation and invention, working backwards from the customer, and tackling complex ambiguous problems. They are an influential leader and builder; a technical expert who can collaborate effectively across product and business, and are able to attract, engage and retain diverse talent, including other senior engineering leaders.
If you are excited by the challenge of partnering actively with product & business to set the course for large company-wide initiatives, operating in a dynamic and fast-paced environment while maintaining high standards, and providing technology thought leadership, this may be the next big career move for you.
Key job responsibilities
- Influence the strategic direction and vision of the organization through an understanding of the intersection of business/customer needs and how these intersect with technical capabilities and opportunities.
- Represent the organization on technical matters with senior leadership.
- Be strategic about defining and building technical architecture that will scale for the long-term.
- Exhibit depth of knowledge and familiarity with technologies to identify and deliver innovative technical solutions that meet business needs and scale with growth.
- Take large, complex projects and break them down into manageable pieces, develop estimates and communicate complexity trade-offs, then working with the development leads, deliver them in a successful and timely manner. Work closely with technical teams, design, and product/program management in an agile environment to deliver products to market.
- Influence and deliver across global teams, including away teams, other service owners and manage a distributed team.
- Manage and proactively communicate risks, prioritization and trade-offs across user experience, delivery, performance and operational support load.
- Create a culture of pride in engineering and operational excellence, and drive best practices within teams and across the organization.
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, or equivalent
- 5+ years experience planning, designing, developing and delivering software
- 2+ years experience as a people manager in a software development organization
- Experience with Unix/Linux, C++ or Java, OO and Service Oriented Architecture
- Project management experience with agile development methodology
- Experience with professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related technical discipline
- Proven track record building and delivering high performance and scalable services in a customer facing enterprise system developed in a fast-pace Agile/Scrum environment, and ability to navigate ambiguity
- Broad understanding of external and internal systems/technologies including AWS, and ability to apply this technical knowledge to guide build vs. buy decisions and invent, evolve, improve and simplify.
- Excellent track record in hiring, coaching, mentoring and developing engineers
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to operate autonomously, roll up sleeves and execute to get the job done.
Proven experience in:
- Driving large-scale engineering efforts that solve significantly complex or endemic problems for customers, business, or technology teams, and making the case for resourcing where needed
- Identifying opportunities to leverage ML capabilities and successfully launching ML based solutions
- Identifying gaps/opportunities in or between regions, architectures, and organizations
- Consistently bringing strong, data-driven business and technical judgment to decisions. Recognizing when designs/solutions require additional technical guidance
- Reducing coupling between teams and correcting inefficiency
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.