Senior Software Development Engineer
Are you passionate about enterprise-wide scale resource configuration management and governance? Are you excited about impactful technical projects that help our biggest enterprise customers manage hundreds of accounts with over a million resources across multiple regions?
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is the pioneer and recognized leader in the Cloud. Our web services provide a platform for IT infrastructure that is used by hundreds of thousands of developers and businesses around the world. These customers range from start-ups to leading web companies to Global 500 companies in financial services, healthcare, and technology.
AWS Config is the foundation service that customers rely on to assess, audit, and evaluate the configurations of AWS resources. AWS Config continuously monitors and records AWS resource configurations and allows them to automate the evaluation of recorded configurations against desired configurations. Customers can review changes in configurations and relationships between AWS resources, dive into detailed resource configuration histories, and determine overall compliance against the configurations specified in their internal guidelines.
Our service launched 7 years ago and grew rapidly. We are currently looking to re-architect and rebuild some of our systems to scale further for 8-10 years. This is an opportunity for someone to come in and learn and help us launch new systems. We are looking for a passionate Software Development Engineer who will work with an innovative development team to create high scale distributed services that expand the reach and functionality of Config. In this role, you will own solutions from design and execution through deployment and support, using the best of available tools, including EC2 Native, Lambda, DynamoDB, and ElasticSearch. You will be responsible for holding the code quality high, even as we optimize our development processes to better serve our customers. You should be invested in helping our enterprise customers enforce IT policies and best practices across their applications on AWS and beyond, understanding that it is important to pair infrastructure with the ability to properly manage it at scale. Most importantly, you should be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment where delivery of new products and features is very rapid. AWS Config is one of the most critical requirements for large enterprises moving to AWS.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. Our team is mostly co-located in the Seattle office, but we’re also flexible when people occasionally need to work from home. We generally keep core in-office hours from 10am to 4pm.
This position involves on-call responsibilities, typically for one week every two months. We don’t like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don’t get paged for the same issue twice.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new team members. Our team has a broad mix of experience levels and Amazon tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior engineers truly enjoy mentoring more junior engineers and engineers from non-traditional backgrounds through one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth. We try to assign projects and tasks based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
· 4+ years of professional software development experience
· 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
· 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
· 6+ years of experience building high scale distributed systems that handle big amounts of data
· Strong knowledge of data structures, algorithms, and designing for performance, scalability, availability, and internet and OS security fundamentals
· Demonstrated ability to mentor other software developers in all aspects of their engineering skillsets
· Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, product strategy and influence outcomes in technical decision-making
· Experience using Amazon Web Services
· Track record of building and delivering mission critical, 24x7 production software systems
· Strong sense of ownership, urgency, and drive.
· For more information on Amazon Web Services, please visit **