Senior Security Engineer, WWCS Application Security
This role can be in Seattle, Austin, Nashville, Arlington, or Toronto
Amazon is seeking a talented and seasoned Senior Applications Security Engineer to focus on securing the ecosystem that powers Amazon Customer Service (CS). CS is one of the largest customer service organizations in the world. Our business operations include tens of thousands of Customer Service Associates around the globe who provide world-class support to customers 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and in over 15 languages (and growing).
This position will provide you with a challenging opportunity to solve difficult security problems at planetary scale. As a senior security engineer, you will help define short-term and long-term security strategy. You will balance your efforts between strategic and operational deliverables. You will have the opportunity to work with talented engineering teams within Amazon to ensure applications are designed and built securely. You care deeply about keeping Amazon customers secure and therefore are passionate about finding, and mitigating vulnerabilities/risks by providing actionable guidance to product teams and drive long term security improvements. You're well-known for your excellent prioritization skills as well as your ability to communicate at all levels of an organization (technical and non-technical). The successful candidate must be autonomous, comfortable operating in highly ambiguous situations, and must deliver results in a fast-paced environment.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Perform security reviews including secure design and architecture, threat modeling, threat assessments, secure code reviews, security testing, and security certifications
- Identify security gaps in applications, services, and products including internally developed, as well as third party solutions
- Determine findings criticality taking into account the relevant business, technical, and threat environment
- Produce reports that describes the work perform for a variety of audiences including technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Communicate findings to relevant stakeholders through a combination of verbal and written reports. Identify owners, and drive mitigation of findings within established SLAs
- Record findings and supporting evidence, work product, and testing results following established policies and procedures
- Design, develop, deploy, and maintain security automation, secure-by-default solutions, and other solutions that will enable developer and security engineering productivity using scripting or programming languages
- Develop a broad and deep technical understanding of the services, architectures, and products pertaining to the Customer Service organization
- Contribute to the long-term and short-term security strategy to ensure that applications are designed and built securely
- Comfortably transition between big picture, strategic thinking and tactical, day-to-day operational execution
- Review technical solutions to provide guidance to help mitigate security vulnerabilities as well as provide actionable long-term and short-term risk mitigation recommendations
- Improve secure software development life-cycle (SSDLC) practices across multiple organizations in Amazon
- Influence decision-makers and stakeholders to achieve a consistently high security bar
- Create relevant documentation, security guidance, and metrics to report to your stakeholders and business leaders and deliver these in a clear, concise manner
- Lead security initiatives with end-to-end ownership
- Participate in security escalations support including on-call rotation
- Evaluate and recommend new and emerging security products and technologies
- Support for mentoring, team building, recruiting activities, onboarding of new team members
- Own and carry out new, reoccurring, or ad-hoc security engineering projects and consultations
- Deliver practical security solutions providing the most customer-centric experience on the planet
- Must be a kind human who enjoys working in a fun team
- BS in Computer Science, Information Security, or equivalent professional experience
- 8+ years of experience in application security, product security, or systems security
- Proven experience in threat modeling, code reviews, security testing, vulnerability detection, attacker exploit techniques, and methods for their remediation.
- 5+ years of experience securing cloud services such as AWS, Azure, and Google Cloud
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Security, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or equivalent
- Relevant industry certifications from SANS, GIAC, CISSP, OSCP, etc.
- 3+ years of experience in penetration testing, offensive security, or red teaming • Deep technical understanding of OWASP Top 10, and SANS 25 vulnerability identification and remediation
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to adapt messaging to technical and non-technical audiences at all levels including senior leadership
- History of working autonomously and delivering results in a fast-paced, highly ambiguous environment
- Experience driving multiple technically complex security initiatives while remaining effective at providing security guidance to stakeholders
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Our compensation reflects the cost of labor across several US geographic markets. The base pay for this position ranges from $136,000/year in our lowest geographic market up to $247,600/year in our highest geographic market. Pay is based on a number of factors including market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Amazon is a total compensation company. Dependent on the position offered, equity, sign-on payments, and other forms of compensation may be provided as part of a total compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits. For more information, please visit Applicants should apply via our internal or external career site.