Senior Backend Software Engineer
Okera, Inc is revolutionizing the way companies manage their data across on-premise and cloud-based data stores. We simplify the complexity of data management, governance, and operations, enabling our customers to widen access to data-centric employees that is larger than previously imaginable. We boast several Fortune 500 customers and are funded by Silicon Valley top-tier venture capital firms.
Okera is solving one of the biggest challenges facing big data right now - opening up data access for greater innovation while ensuring proper governance and compliance. The Okera Active Data Management Platform unifies and manages access across a multi-cloud, multi-datastore and multi-tool environment.
What is it like working at Okera?
At Okera, we are on a mission to empower Enterprise organizations to get more value out of their data and we do it responsibility with a high regard for data security! We are solving some truly amazing challenges and you would be a great fit if you embody a growth mindset, understand what it means to put the customer first, you are a go-getter and value the team over individual, you are accountable, hard working, value transparency, and are looking to join a fast-paced startup environment that truly wants to make a difference.
Be sure to check out our most exciting recent press below especially being labeled as one of the 10 coolest big data start-ups in 2020!
- Okera Honored With Datanami Editors’ Choice Award for Best Big Data Security Product or Technology.
- Okera Labeled As One of The 10 Coolest Big Data Startups Of 2020!
- Okera Introduces Industry’s First Adaptive Security Plane with nScale™ Elasticity.
- Okera and Starburst Strategic Partnership Aims to Accelerate Secure Data Analytics with Unprecedented Cost Savings.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Architect, design and develop new features based on customer and stakeholder requirements.
- Take abstract problems and iteratively distill and build scalable, sustainable, performant solutions.
- Communicate regularly with the engineering leadership and product managers to ensure the project is on track and checkpoint goals are met.
- Demonstrate a deep understanding of what it takes to build a database engine. When designing solutions, consider key concepts like multi-threading, parallel processing, memory management and file management to name a few.
- Understand and utilize AWS SDK libraries to leverage various AWS capabilities like RDS, S3, Cloudtrail.
- Create clear and concise documents about work done for projects, investigative work including design documents, architectural diagrams and other technical documents as needed.
- Give high priority for quality of work by creating unit tests, integration tests and when needed include it as part of the CI process.
- Ensure code runs in docker with minimum to none changes needed between development to production environment.
- Participate in design discussions of other projects within the engineering team and able to guide on technical aspects for junior developers.
- Take up challenges faced within the engineering team like problems in the release process, build issues and other pressing problems raised by customers that require quick turnaround with the highest quality of work.
- Be a regular member of the support rotation.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in computer science or related discipline.
- Hands on experience working within large data platforms/data lakes/data warehouses.
- You have 5+ years of experience in at least one of object-oriented programming languages like Java, C++, Python, or Golang.
- You have experience with SQL, NoSQL, AWS and/or distributed computing systems.
- Understand database concepts and optimization techniques.
- Have debugging experience with highly concurrent systems, have solved scaling problems and optimized memory/CPU utilization.
- Experience with docker and containerization is a plus.
- Experience with CI/CD and other build systems.
- Experience working on big data technologies like Impala, Apache Spark, Hadoop, Hive.
Technologies we use and learn together:
- Amazon Web Services
- Microsoft Azure Docker Kubernetes EMR / Spark / Hive / Databricks
- AVRO / Parquet / JSON / CSV data file formats
- Competitive salary.
- Medical, dental, vision and stock options.
- Unlimited time off.
- 401k plan.
- Virtual weekly happy hours.
- Monthly Health & Wellness Program stipend.
- Professional Self Development stipend annually to grow your knowledge.
At Okera, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We welcome people from all backgrounds, ethnicities, cultures, and experiences. Okera is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.