About Varsity Tutors
Our mission is simple: helping people learn!
Varsity Tutors is a fast growing education technology company that is revolutionizing how people learn with new and innovative technology. Our award-winning online and mobile learning platforms connect students and professionals from all around the world with personalized instruction to achieve any goal. Varsity Tutors has also launched its TestPrep4All initiative, the nation's first-ever FREE live, online ACT/SAT test prep classes. These classes feature highly-experienced instructors, adaptive assessment tools, and practice exams.
Varsity Tutors closed a $50M Series C funding round in 2018, bringing its total funding to $107M. The round was led by Learn Capital, with participation from The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative and existing investor TCV, which will enable Varsity Tutors to further its vision of seamlessly connecting experts and learners in any subject, anywhere, at any time.
Yes, we’re a tech company, but more than that, we’re a people company. It’s our job to understand learners, and help set them up for success. If you love learning, technology, and making a true impact, you’re going to love working here.
About the Job
We're looking for a creative, passionate, and detail-oriented Principal UX Designer. Our ideal candidate is an overall design generalist and interaction design expert who is as comfortable hashing out big-picture workflow and strategy as they are prototyping detailed visual and interaction execution.
As a Principal Designer, you’ll anchor our UX design practice, collaborate with technical and business leadership, serve as a mentor for our growing design team, and act as an essential partner to our Senior Director of Design, Chief Product Officer, and CEO.
You'll help manifest Varsity Tutors’ overall product vision and service design across all channels that face the customers, tutors and beyond. You'll work closely with a talented and growing team of visual and UX designers in a fast-paced environment to drive our experience strategy, deliver seamless workflows, and craft refined and engaging product experiences.
In this position, you will...
- Transform complex ideas into proposals for elegant and intuitively straightforward design proposals.
- Participate in design critiques, presenting your work with variations and rationale, as well as feedback for others'
- Work side-by-side with engineers to ensure your work functions as well in production as it does in your design
- Mentorship of junior designers and contributing work that influences and scales their contributions.
- Go deep in designing, refining, and expanding our UX and information architecture within our mobile and web apps
- Work in an agile environment using data and analytics to inform user-centered design decisions and rapid iterative improvement
- 8+ years of experience in designing UX architecture on mobile and desktop product experiences
- An impressive portfolio of work that demonstrates a deep understanding of the core problems being solved, paired with elegant, innovative, and thoughtful solutions
- Proficient knowledge of Sketch, Zeplin, and the Adobe Creative Suite
- An experienced architect at heart, who is passionate about elevating the learning experiences of our customers, and tools to make tutors even better teachers.
- Highly sensitized to the user experience with finely tuned design sensibilities
- A macro and micro-thinker who can just as easily zoom out to look at the whole and zoom in to be detail-oriented
- Experience influencing executive stakeholders and evangelizing the way design works best to advance the goals of customers and the company.
- A talented and sought after collaborator who can bring sketch-level thinking to life with product and engineering partners and understands the power of cross-discipline partnership
Nice to have:
- Multidisciplinary design background including a degree in a classic Design discipline, Communication Design, Interaction Design, Human-Computer Interaction, social science or similar program.
- Remote friendly (2-3 days of working from home for in-office employees)
- Flexible work-life balance
- Training for skill and career growth
- Competitive Healthcare Plans (Medical, Dental, Vision, Life)
- 401k Company Matching Plan
- PTO, Paid Holidays, Floating Holiday
- VTO (“Volunteer Time Off“ to do community service/charity work)
- 52 hours of FREE Tutoring Sessions per year for you or immediate family members
- Collaborative, and team-oriented work environment
- Try a free trial of our Live Learning Platform here: https://www.varsitytutors.com/freetrial
Note: Please feel comfortable applying, even if you don’t meet all the requirements for the position. We strongly encourage members of underrepresented groups and people of diverse backgrounds to apply.
We will not discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of age, race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, medical condition, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status or civil partnership/union status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, childbirth, genetic information, military and veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable federal, state or local law. Varsity Tutors will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with local and federal requirements.