Principal Business Development - Surface Transportation, Fleet Strategy
This role can be located in Chicago, Phoenix, Atlanta, Nashville, Seattle, Minneapolis, Washington, DC, Los Angeles, or Austin
It’s no secret that Amazon relies on its technology to deliver millions of packages every day to its customers – on time, with low cost. The Middle Mile Transportation Technology organization, builds complex software solutions that work across our vendors, warehouses and carriers to optimize both time & cost of getting the packages delivered. Our services already handle thousands of requests per second, make business decisions impacting billions of dollars a year, integrate with a network of small and large carriers, owner operators and drivers worldwide, manage business rules for millions of unique products, and improve ordering and delivery experience for millions of online shoppers. That said, this remains a fast growing business and our technical journey has only started. An example of a recent innovation from this group is AmazonFlex (flex.amazon.com) that enables crowdsourced last mile delivery. With rapid expansion into new geographies, innovations in supply chain, unique delivery models for products ranging from AmazonFresh groceries, ultra-fast Prime Now deliveries to big-screen TV’s, increasingly complex transportation network, and growing number of shipments worldwide, we see a brand new opportunity to fundamentally change the way people get the stuff they need, and make a big impact by cutting billions of dollars of transportation costs from the ecosystem. Our mission is to build the most efficient and optimal transportation solution on the planet, using our technology and engineering muscle as our biggest advantage. We aim to leverage cutting edge technologies in big data, machine learning, and optimization techniques, and operate high volume, low latency, and high availability services. Oh, and we will need great leaders too (this is where you come in … read on)
As part of the leadership team, you will lead business development for an exciting and confidential initiative in middle mile transportation organization. You will regularly interact with executive leadership and work with external partners to drive new initiatives within the middle mile market segment. You’ll work in a fast paced environment and will be required to lead not only at the strategic level, but also be hands on day-to-day by diving deeply into business and technical domains.
To accomplish this, you will be expected to have an established background in technical business development, excellent project management skills, great communication skills, and a motivation to achieve results in a fast paced environment. You should be somebody who enjoys working on complex business partnerships, is customer-centric, and feels strongly about building good solutions, as well as creating partnerships that drive value to the organization.
Come and see for yourself why we are one of the most admired company in the US, rated #1 in Innovation and # 1 in Customer Service, and be part of our tradition of working hard, having fun and making history! At Amazon, we hire hands-on managers at all levels. The leader will need to dive deep into the details on business, operations and engineering. We need technical, detail-oriented leaders who can build and grow organizations.
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Computer Science or the equivalent required
- 10+ years of professional business development experience
- Demonstrated people and organizational management skills
- Demonstrated experience commercially successful products to global market segments
- Experience leading cross-functional teams to deliver products and projects on tight deadlines
- Experience managing complex product development cycles
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proven record of innovation and thought leadership
- MBA or Master’s degree
- Proven track record of taking ownership and delivering results in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills with the ability to use data and to back up assumptions, recommendations, and drive actions
- Demonstrated ability to understand and discuss technical concepts, manage trade-offs and evaluate opportunistic new ideas with internal and external partners
- Strong verbal and written communication skills – experience managing teams and engaging with senior leadership
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.