Market Intel Research Scientist
We are looking for someone in our Seattle, WA or Austin, TX locations.
The Market Intelligence team for Workforce Staffing applies data and insights to optimize the experience and operations for Amazon’s largest candidate population – Tier 1 Associates who bring the magic of Amazon’s industry-leading brand promise for customer fulfillment to life. The pace at which job creation, hiring, and growth that happens to support the scale and complexity of Amazon businesses is a problem Amazon is uniquely qualified to solve for and continually innovate on. Workforce Staffing literally hires by the hundreds of thousands across multiple business lines, job types, and shift configurations. The Market Intelligence team in particular focuses on applying labor market, candidate, and competitor intelligence to uplevel job offerings, mitigate operational risk, best position Amazon for its long-term growth. Come join a team that is continually shaping and writing the future of the hourly worker job offering landscape.
The Market Intelligence Research Scientist is highly capable and highly curious about blending data science, economics, and operations research across internal and external data sources to tell a compelling story of market risk and what we can do about it. You will wrangle data across multiple data sources, build models and apply the right algorithms, and visualize insights for senior operations and business partners. You will collaborate closely as part of a blended science-based product team blending research, data engineering, visual analytics, and product and program capabilities.
· Design and prototype algorithmic solutions for balancing network demand.
· Evaluate effectiveness and forecast ROI on key decisions to increase Amazon's employment value proposition
· Build models that improve hiring throughput, optimize hiring to the best-fit labor markets, and best position new launch sites
· Influence key business decisions to proactively optimize labor plans, shift structures, compensation and/or benefits, and other factors to increase Amazon's appeal across the workforce of the future
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at Amazon, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have 12 affinity groups (employee resource groups) with more than 87,000 employees across hundreds of chapters around the world. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which reminds team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
It isn’t about which hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We offer flexibility and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
We care about your career growth too. Whether your goals are to explore new technologies, take on bigger opportunities, or get to the next level, we'll help you get there. Our business is growing fast and our people will grow with it.
· Masters or PhD in Operations Research, Machine Learning, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Engineering, Computer Science or other field related to algorithms.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability to communicate at a level appropriate to the audience.
· Experience designing and implementing models and algorithms for one or more:
Combinatorial optimization problems (e.g., scheduling, vehicle routing, and facility location).
Continuous optimization problems (e.g., linear programming, convex programming, non-convex programming).
Predictive analytics (e.g., forecasting, time-series, neural networks)
Prescriptive analytics (e.g., stochastic optimization, bandits, reinforcement learning).
· Experience implementing algorithms in traditional programming languages (C++/ Java/ python)
· Comfortable to tradeoff complexity and efficiency of solution methodologies, according to the requirements of the problem. Ability to deal with ambiguity
· Minimum 4+ years of relevant work experience
· Detailed knowledge of optimization methods including linear and mixed-integer programming, network modeling, constraint programming, approximation algorithms, and advanced heuristic techniques.
· Expertise on MIP strategies to customize and leverage commercial algorithms and adapt them as required.
· Experience in workforce/people analytics at national and global scale
· Experience in labor economics forecasting
· Deep knowledge of international supply chain strategies and inventory control
· Experience and passion in sustainability practices and supporting technology
· Proven track record of translating into actionable insights
· Ability to work cross functionally and collaborate with multiple teams
· Develops strong relationships across teams and customers
· Strong analytical experience driving quantifiable returns on investment
· Articulate communicator, able to translate raw into plain language insights stakeholders can understand
· Ability to self-direct, multitask, and prioritize a constantly evolving workload.
· Demonstrated ability to thrive in ambiguous environments by driving the strategy rather than waiting for a strategy to drive you
· Excellent writing skills
· Ability to work on a diverse team or with a diverse range of coworkers
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.
For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success and we make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, gender, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief.