Manager, Taxonomy, Product Knowledge
Does the idea of managing a team with the goal to develop world-class ontologies and taxonomies that organize Amazon’s mammoth selection of products sound like fun to you? Are you as obsessed with the customer experience as you are with managing, mentoring, and developing taxonomists?
As an Taxonomy Manager, you lead a global team of knowledge builders to deliver world-class, intuitive, and comprehensive taxonomy and ontology models to optimize product discovery for Amazon web and mobile experiences. You will manage a team of Ontology data modeling experts and will work with a group of experienced management peers and engineering partners to build comprehensive taxonomy and ontology structures to optimize global, online product discovery for our Amazon Web and Mobile experiences.
Key job responsibilities
- Manage a team of Ontologists/Taxonomists who develop taxonomy and ontology data models and standards to define and organize our customer shopping experience, including Sr. Ontologists/Taxonomists
- Expand and refine data retrieval techniques to use our extensive product catalog and to improve customer data quality
- Drive and coordinate cross-functional projects with a broad range of merchandisers, engineers, designers, and other groups that include architecting new data solutions
- Analyze website metrics and customer behavior data to make intelligent decisions to optimize our models and designs
- Build roadmaps, reporting to Taxonomy leadership as well as business leadership
- Partner with Taxonomy Managers and Ontologists/Taxonomists globally to align on standard modeling best practices and meaningful local exceptions
- Develop team operational excellence programs, data quality initiatives and process simplifications
- Contribute to team strategic initiatives and goal setting and future state vision
About the team
The vision of the Product Knowledge Taxonomy Team is to provide a standardized, semantically rich, easily discoverable, extensible, and universally applicable body of product knowledge that can be consistently utilized across customer shopping experiences, selling partner listing experiences and internal enrichment of product data. We aim to make product knowledge compelling, easy to use, and feature rich. Our work to build comprehensive product knowledge allows us to semantically understand a customer’s intent – whether that is a shopping mission or a seller offering products. We strive to make these experiences more intuitive for all customers.
- Master’s degree in Library Science, Information Systems, Linguistics or other relevant fields
- 5+ years experience directly managing a team in a Taxonomy, Catalog, or Content development organization in E-Commerce on Tech environment
- 5+ years experience in Taxonomy Development
- Exposure to data science and/or machine learning, including graph embeddings
- Proven leadership skills and teamwork skills. You have experience guiding, coaching, hiring, and promoting a team and can balance diving deep enough to support your team’s day-to-day needs while also thinking big enough to raise the bar
- Excellent project management skills and experience managing complex roadmaps
- Great verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical and metadata information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of technical and non-technical audiences
- Experience working in environments with aggressive deadlines and production environments
- Experience with Media metadata, content and/or ontologies
- Experience in E-Commerce or Technology organizations preferred
- Proven ability to work and deliver effectively in cross-functional teams
- Passionate about website usability and the role of metadata in improving customer shopping experiences
- Detail oriented, self-motivated, and calm under pressure
- Most of all, someone who is pragmatic, likes to do good work and inspire others to do good work, and is genuinely interested in helping customers
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.