Summer Quarter 2020
Application Due Date: April 1, 2020
Title: Curatorial Intern, Collections - unpaid
Department/Location: Curatorial Department, SAM Downtown
Staff Mentor: Collection & Provenance Associate
Learning Objectives: With a focus on the permanent collection, this curatorial internship offers an opportunity to conduct art historical research related to artworks and artists in SAM’s permanent collection, and gain familiarity working with the museum’s collections database, The Museum System (TMS).
- Perform research on artworks and artists in the museum’s collection.
- Assist in cataloguing publication information from past SAM exhibitions.
- Contribute curatorial content to SAM blog.
- Expected time commitment: Average 10-15 hours per week; schedule is flexible within Monday-Friday, 9 am-5 pm office hours
- Excellent research and writing skills demonstrable from education and/or work history.
- Ability to work independently, when needed.
- Attention to detail and excellent organization skills.
- Ability to work with staff and volunteers in a professional manner on a variety of tasks.
- Ability to communicate effectively to staff, volunteers and public.
- Basic filing, typing and computer skills.
- Ability to ask for help and accept supervision and evaluation of your work.
- Abide by the Standards for Museum Volunteers/Interns as outlined in the Volunteer/Intern Packet.
- Currently or recently enrolled in an Art History, Museology program, or related field.
- Cover letter
- Two letters of recommendation (may be submitted separately by the writer to
- Writing sample