Global Head of Fabric R&D
At Amazon, we're working to create the most customer-centric company on earth. To get there, we need exceptionally talented, bright, and driven leaders to help us deliver great Softlines product. We are looking for a dynamic, customer-obsessed and innovative Global Head of Fabric R&D to join our Amazon Private Brands team. Our Private Brands offer customers outstanding quality at great prices and we are looking for Fabric R&D leader to manage a centralized team that supports all worldwide textile development and translates our brand design philosophies into clear, executable, direction for vendors, suppliers, and other outside research institutes.
The successful candidate will have a demonstrated track record of:
· Earning trust and influencing without authority: Influencing internal and external stakeholders to prioritize our needs in a world of multiple competing priorities.
· Strong written and verbal communication: Document strategy/prioritization with supporting reasoning, user stories, critical decisions, and SOPs/training. Executive presence; present these documents across all levels of the organization.
· Thinking big: Private Label Fashion is part of a family of Private Label businesses. Identify opportunities to build solutions greater than the immediate problem. Understand the difference between what solution the team needs vs. what they say they want.
· Demonstrating sound judgment: Look across different perspectives and business needs, develop a solution that works, move forward. Be able to support your opinions with sound reasoning grounded in the business.
· Bias for action and navigating ambiguity: The “right” path is not always clear, and the ideal solution may be farther in the future than the business allows. Do not be afraid to bridge known gaps if necessary.
· Program/project management: Build plans with clear objectives, milestones, stakeholders, and metrics. Create centrally-accessible resources and project plans for all stakeholder groups to access to drive clarity across the organization.
· Stellar organizational skills: both in terms of managing workload but also how you think about leveraging our systems
· Drive and execute to Amazon Fashion’s global sustainable textile initiatives
· Influence and design reporting and tools for the Design function
· Data Science: use data science practices to surface customer insights
· Technology: lead efforts to leverage 3P tech and act as key stakeholder for internal tech projects (PBC).
· Ensure standard operating procedures are followed, identify inefficiencies in workflow, and drive a culture of continuous improvement
· Build strong communication and reporting mechanisms with executive leadership
· Supervise flow and quality of information into the creative team
· Work with design leadership to develop, maintain, communicate, and train internal team
· Design an end-to-end digitization of the fabric development process
· Build advance 3–5-year material research & development strategy planning to ensure APB is continuously innovating on behalf of customers.
· Manage product integrity by monitoring and refining laboratory testing for core fabric library
· Possess a working knowledge of design and utility intellectual patents and trademarks
· Experience overseeing roadmap strategy and definition
· Experience with feature delivery and tradeoffs of a product
· Bachelor's Degree
· 5+ years of experience in product or program management, product marketing, business development or technology
· Experience with end to end product delivery
· Bachelor's Degree in Textile Design, or Material Science
· 10+ years in textile industry working with fabrics
· 4+ years of senior management experience preferred
· Strong presentation skills
· Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to regularly interface with and influence senior management
· Experience setting or collaborating on creative strategies
· Organize and prioritize multiple projects having a sense of urgency in managing time and accomplishing tasks
· Demonstrate proactive problem-solving skills, detail oriented, with strong follow through
· Deep understanding of raw material development and cost engineering
· Excellent technical knowledge of yarn knits and performance fabrications
· Experience that spans multiple apparel categories and genders
· Ability to negotiate and build consensus across multiple functions
· Working knowledge and understanding of sourcing
· Proven ability to work closely and partner effectively with Designers and Production partners
· Proven strong management skills
· Demonstrated industry experience leading broad impact sustainability initiatives
· Experience influencing engineering teams