Business Intelligence Engineer, Alexa Audio Data and Insights
Amazon’s Alexa is a cloud-based voice service that powers Amazon’s groundbreaking voice-powered devices Echo, Dot, Tap, and Echo Show. These devices are part of Amazon’s vision to build a computer in the cloud that is completely controlled by your voice. Alexa Audio is a key Alexa vertical including Music, Radio, Podcast, Books, and the Audio category custom skills, focused on delivering magical experiences that drive engagement with Alexa.
The Alexa Audio Data and Insight team is seeking an experienced Business Intelligence Engineer who is a master of both data insights and relationship-building. Using a special combination of technical and soft skills, this candidate will be the key BI liaison between Alexa Books and partner teams (product, engineering, and Alexa Science community). Primary areas of focus will be 1) Data Democratization, enabling others with the ability to self-serve metrics and reporting, and 2) Customer Insights, analyzing customer behavior to understand drivers of customer friction. This includes implementation and maintenance of BI reporting tools (Tableau/Excel), defining metrics and KPIs, and deep-diving large, sometimes ambiguous data sets.
The successful candidate is an expert with at least one query language and have exemplary communication skills (verbal and written). The candidate will need to be a self-starter, comfortable with ambiguity in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment, and able to think big while paying careful attention to detail. We also prefer someone with a strong statistics background and understanding machine learning models.
· Problem solving: you will define the solutions from problem statement.
· Centralized analytics and data science team: we teach each other and learn from each other.
· Impact: directly influence the Alexa Books (Kindle on Alexa and Audible) customer experience with your ideas
Key job responsibilities
· Own the design, development, and maintenance of ongoing metrics, reports, analyses, dashboards, etc. to drive key business decisions
· Interface with business customers, gathering requirements and delivering complete reporting solution
· Recognize and adopt best practices in reporting and analysis: data integrity, test design, analysis, validation, and documentation
· Continually improve ongoing reporting and analysis processes, automating or simplifying self-service support for customers
· Perform creative deep dive analyses on Machine Learning based metrics to explain findings
· Interact with internal stakeholders to share insights from monitoring and deep dive analyses
· Drive instrumentation as part of organization-wide programs and enhancements
A day in the life
When we work together, we operate:
* Centralize the sprint and consolidate to one queue but still give stakeholder visibility and continue to ask feedback;
* Advocate knowledge sharing and code review;
* Avoid single point of failure with a secondary owner as code reviewer, mentor, backup, etc;
* Consolidate across org initiatives to the same primary owner;
* Train everyone on the must-have knowledges;
* Carve out time for high-sev tt, urgent requests, tech debt failure;
* Favor problem statement other than data requests
About the team
We are a team of talented Data Scientists, Business Intelligence Engineers, and Data Engineers, who bring with deep experience in both business analytics and data science. We own the tactical aspects of improving the customer experience, developing a customer roadmap, generating actionable insights, and driving the development of new models and algorithms that have an impact on millions of customers. Our key internal partners includes Alexa Audio Product Managers, Engineering, Finance, Alexa analytics and science teams; Alexa International, Alexa Analytics and Science Community.
· Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, MIS, Mathematics, Statistics, Finance, related technical field, or equivalent work experience.
· 3+ years of years of relevant work experience in analytics, data engineering, business intelligence, market research or related field
· Experience gathering business requirements, using industry standard business intelligence tool(s) to extract data, formulate metrics and build reports
· Experience using SQL, ETL and databases in a business environment with large-scale, complex datasets
· Proven track record of successful communication of analytical outcomes through written communication, including an ability to effectively communicate with both business and technical teams
· Graduate degree in computer science, business, mathematics, statistics, economics, or other quantitative field
· Both technically deep and business savvy enough to interface with all levels and disciplines within the organization
· Demonstrated ability to coordinate projects across functional teams, including engineering, IT, product management, marketing, finance, and operations
· Knowledge of Advanced SQL and a programming language (Python, R, or others)
· Experience with data visualization using Tableau or similar tools
· Experience with statistical analysis using R/Python or similar tools
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.