Accounting and Operations Systems Analyst
The Financial Research Operations Support Team (FROST) helps guide businesses to launch with sustainable and accurate financial processing on Amazon platform technologies. We obsess over accuracy, consistency, and completeness of financial data. We constantly strive to eradicate any system defects to ensure complete and accurate financial data for our customers.
In this position, you will dig deep into the workflows and data stores of each of Amazon’s businesses. You must be able to understand and navigate complex business processes and technologies. You should be comfortable interacting with software development engineers, accounting, business owners, external payment partners, and senior leadership. You will have the opportunity to learn all of our internal businesses and work with a wide range of stakeholders. We value personality, an ability to navigate ambiguity, keen insight, and sound business judgement.
This position is expected to have sufficient finance/accounting understanding to help the new business launch team identify issues, opine on reporting requirements, and have a solid understanding of computing system interaction. This role requires excellent communication and organization skills, including the ability to anticipate, identify and communicate risks to accounting, finance, businesses and technical teams. You must be able to work independently, remain flexible with the ability to prioritize workloads, and maintain a strong attention to detail in a fast-paced environment. Similarly, this position is expected to manipulate and mine large data sets to identify, isolate, and communicate findings to stakeholders.
The right individual will have solid business judgment, a strong controllership focus, and the capability to drive a fast paced organization to the right results with a focused and pragmatic approach to the business. You must be a fast learner, who can quickly absorb the nuances of Amazon’s varied payment offerings as well as the behavior of Amazon’s internal systems. You will be analytical and data driven in decision making, with a demonstrated ability to drive issues to completion.
· Identify operational gaps in new offerings and set operational requirements for new projects.
· Partner with internal teams to support new payments products or functionality post launch.
· Work with developers, business and accounting staff to resolve open issues, identify processes improvements and track progress to completion.
· Provide user operational support and respond to data and research queries from management team.
· Track open issues and research requests, providing regular status to management.
· Provide financial operations support for accounting and lines of business in order to complete reconciliation of financial accounts.
· Work with product management, technology management, and accounting to research issues, and implement process improvements.
Key job responsibilities
A system analyst (SA) in FROST manages projects, helping shepherd businesses to launch with minimal defects; partners with technical teams to drive resolution to existing issues; as well as partners with Accounting to research financial defects timely, accurately, to uphold a high bar of controllership. You routinely review large sets of data, identifying inconsistencies resulting in financial statements variances, identifying relevant trends and patterns and quantifying the financial impact.
You are quick to understand system flows and business processes, and are viewed as a deep subject matter expert in revenue and payment workflows by colleagues, accounting, and technical teams. You are an expert at using various internal tools to trace events to identify precise failure points resulting in financial defects. An SA has a strong ability to deep dive large data sets, leveraging internal tools and source-system data, extrapolating use-cases efficiently and accurately into findings, measuring impact to operations and financials.
About the team
FROST (Financial Research and Operations Support Team), part of the larger PAE (Payments Acceptance & Experience) organization, partners with Accounting, businesses, and technical teams to manage operational risk and processes to help ensure transactions completely and accurately message from source to subledger (SL) to general ledger (GL).
· 5+ years of relevant work experience
· Background in accounting, finance, or the payments industry
· Strong analytical skills with excellent problem solving abilities
· Advanced knowledge of Excel
· SQL Intermediate to Advanced
· Demonstrated ability to work with multiple layers of complexity
· Proven ability to identify and resolve data inconsistencies
· Ability to present information and analysis clearly and concisely
· Is innovative, can simplify, and have relentlessly high standards
· Experience driving small to medium sized cross functional projects
· Proven ability to build relationships and influence others
· Strong overall business acumen
· Very strong written and oral communication skills
· Is data driven and sets clear, measurable quality goals
· Maintains composure in the face of highly ambiguous environments and constant change
· Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent
· Experience with AWS Products
· Experience dealing with large datasets
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.