What We Are Looking For
NEP is currently seeking a dynamic individual to become part of our Accounting & Finance team as the Chief Financial Officer.
This position requires a proactive, team-oriented leader who can thrive in a growing organization in the higher education industry. This highly visible position, which is poised for growth, reports to the Chief Operating Officer and will interact heavily with the CEO and executive leadership team to help National Education Partners (NEP) and the National University System (NUS) achieve their goals. The position will also interact with NEP's board, NUS leadership and other outside constituents. The incumbent will have broad responsibility across corporate and operational financial and accounting functions, directing NEP's functions such as: accounting, annual audits, customer accounting support, tax compliance, managing an ERP implementation, monthly close processes, monthly reporting, forecasting, budgeting, long range planning, business partnering, modeling, return on investment analysis and other value added financial analysis. This is a hands-on leadership role that requires someone who is able to support both high-level complex accounting and finance responsibilities as well as not being afraid to dive into the details on a day-to-day basis.
- Ensure proper and timely financial and tax accounting (both for profit and not for profit) in accordance with GAAP and IRS rules
- Oversee annual audits on time and with minimal or no adjustments
- Develop and maintain systems of internal controls to safeguard assets
- Direct the overall financial plans and accounting practice. Manage the financial performance by developing forecasts and monitoring ongoing performance against plan. Fiduciary responsibility for the financial health of the organization.
- Provide strong, forward-looking analytical leadership
- Partner with senior leaders to push the boundaries of current and future departmental goals and strategies. Clearly articulate the key drivers of the business.
- Lead the Accounting and Finance teams to ensure that both excellence in day-to-day service delivery and future needs
- Bring creativity and passion to the organization and its services and possess a broad institutional perspective while embracing change and innovation
- Demonstrate proven ability in developing models and conducting analyses that identify critical trends, support strategic decision making and create forward visibility
- Drive change within the organization through robust financial analysis and strong business partnership
- Strategically partner with affiliates to drive financial success of each client
- Develop the forecast, budget, and long range plan, ensuring aligment of proper resource allocation
- Manage the production of reporting tools (bridges, scorecards, etc.) and key performance metrics to provide management insight into revenue and operating expense trends, track project spending, headcount and potential risks/opportunities to forecast or plan
- Oversee the monthly variance analysis of actual operating, capital and project spending vs. plan, forecast and prior year; including responsibility for driving cost control
- Develop and implement software, processes and other types of automation that accelerate financial processes and provide greater access to support both NEP and its clients
- Identify staffing and training needs, evaluate employee performance, and coach Accounting and Finance staff.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Reasonable and consistent attendance to fulfill requirements of the position
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to build relationships with leaders to drive better business performance
- Effectively manage Accounting and Finance professionals to achieve the desired goals
- Expert Excel skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office products
- Skill in strategic planning, budgeting and forecasting processes to lead teams in building complex models
- Ability to analyze and synthesize large amounts of data in order to identify and present meaningful observations and recommendations
- Excellent organizational and written and verbal communication skills with the ability to collaborate within a cross-functional team environment
- Skill in taking initiative, exercising sound judgment in problem-solving and decision making
- Skill in developing people and in building teams
- Demonstrated ability to lead complex organizations
- Knowledge of management and organizational leadership principles and practices
- Must be self-directed with the ability to effectively manage competing priorities and thrive under pressure
- Proficient with Microsoft Word and other applications in the Microsoft Office suite
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree required; Accounting or Finance peferred; Masters degree preferred, CPA desirable
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in accounting and/or planning and forecasting required
- Minimum of 5 years of managerial experience required
- Experience with BI 360 and Great Plains preferred; Experience in implementing Workday preferred; Have a broad knowledge of financial enterprise systems and technology as well as comfort with multiple transactions and rapidly changing circumstances; specific experience working with manual and automated financial and accounting systems and accounting software; experience with student information systems desirable
- Demonstrated ability to manage full P&L responsibilities
- Excellent leadership skills and demonstrated ability to lead broad teams in a fast changing environment
- Experience driving a strategic focus and demonstrated ability to execute directives in a high growth environment with complex and evolving programs, systems and operations
- Experience in financial and accounting practices in a for-profit higher education environment and a not for profit environment
- Have knowledge of the accounting and regulatory environments that affect Accounting, Tax, and Finance
- Demonstrate keeping up to date with continuing education required for position
- Experience in higher education preferred
- Experience working in a technology-driven enterprise preferred
- All skills, abilities and education will be considered for minimum qualifications
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a team member to perform the essential functions of this job successfully. The physical requirements for performing the essential functions of this position require the team member to be able to:
- Able to sit, stand, kneel, walk, and reach.
- Able to lift, push, pull, and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- Hear well enough to communicate with others.
- Read a computer screen and written material.
- Write, type, and use phone system.
This position operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
• Good working environment with the absence of disagreeable conditions.
• The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
• Regular and reliable attendance is required.
NEP will not sponsor applicants for work visas.
Who We Are
National Education Partners (NEP) provides premier online program management (OPM) services for leading educational institutions. NEP offers a rich history of delivering traditional academic operations support in areas such as finance, human resources, enrollment, financial aid, marketing, information technology and much more. Today, NEP is the OPM of record for Northcentral University (NCU), which offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in healthcare and marriage and family therapy. NEP also provides online services to John F. Kennedy University. Both NEP and NCU are part of the National University System, a system of nonprofit universities with its headquarters in La Jolla, California.