Schenectady Center is actively seeking an experienced Phlebotomist to work for our facility in Schenectady, NY.
The ideal candidate must have reliable transportation, the ability to work independently, and 2-3 years of phlebotomy experience.
Reports to: Phlebotomy Supervisor
Phlebotomists are professionals who specialize in drawing blood from patients. Their responsibilities include interviewing and preparing the patient for the blood draw. They are required to follow strict precautionary safety procedures in order to limit the risk of contact with potentially infectious blood and other bodily fluids.
Record keeping and labeling are also major duties of the phlebotomist, to ensure that the right tests are performed on the correct blood specimens.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Accurately identify patients using a wristband, documents or through known visual identification.
- Receives assignments, assembles supplies and equipment required to perform specimen collection according to established standards, policies, and procedures.
- Accurately identifies priorities such as Stat, timed, or routine.
- Determine the right venipuncture method based on patient age, health etc.
- Reassure patients and help them relax.
- Find veins that are suitable for puncture.
- Draw blood using proper equipment and techniques.
- Keep all sharps, needles, and equipment out of reach of the patient and properly dispose of these and all medical waste.
- Follow the proper test tube order of draw.
- Use appropriate personal protective equipment.
- Ensure optimal quality and quantity of samples for the test and tube required.
- Label test tubes correctly and send or deliver them for testing.
- Does not attempt to draw any patient more than two times. Request help if necessary.
- Answer patient questions and provide useful information
- Keep accurate patient records.
- Adhere to all relevant health and safety standards while working.
- Monitor the patient for reactions; monitor equipment operations
- Educate patient on immediate after care
- Maintain a clean and sanitary space.
- If trained on specimen storage and centrifugation, use all appropriate procedures.
- Ensure patient confidentiality.
- Attends all required company meetings and training programs.
- High school degree or equivalent
- Phlebotomy Technician certificate preferred
- Without certificate must have completed a hospital or major lab training progam
- Understanding of standard blood drawing practices and procedures
- Good interpersonal skills and communication
- Able and flexible to work nights, evening hours, weekends, holidays, and extended shifts
- Strict adherence to safety regulations, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals
- Knowledge of aseptic and sterilization techniques
- Valid State-issued drivers license with a good driving record
- Must have adequate automobile insurance.
- Must have a vehicle in good driving condition.
Schenectady Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing is a 240-bed rehabilitation and skilled nursing facility located near the lively, reinvigorated downtown. With a long tradition of supporting the communityand being an active part of itSchenectady Center is one of the newest in all of New York State with modern fixtures, contemporary features, and the latest amenities throughout. Our patient-centered therapy sessions are delivered by our caring, compassionate, expert team and will ensure that your program is tailored to your specific rehabilitation needs. Schenectady Center is a proud member of the Centers Health Care Consortium.
Centers Health Care is a fully integrated post-acute care continuum offering rehabilitation and skilled nursing services in more than 45 locations covering four states. In addition, we provide special services including in-center and home dialysis, ventilator care, and care for those with Alzheimer’s. The Centers Health Care family offers Skilled Nursing, Urgent Care, Managed Care, Renal Dialysis Services, Clinical Laboratory Services, Adult Day Health Care, and Assisted Living services, as well as every level of Home Care. Centers is well known for our commitment to our employees, offering outstanding ongoing training and development, career advancement opportunities, competitive pay rates, generous compensation packages and more.
Equal Opportunity Employer –M/F/D/V