Library Assistant - Jacaranda Public Library (Official Job Title: Customer Service Representative I) NOTE: This position is PART-TIME, no medical and/or dental benefits coverage: This position provides customer service through contact and responses to county customers and citizens. As the direct point of contact for customers, the Library Assistant resolves routine questions or problems and refers more complex issues. In the team environment all employees participate in setting unit, library, and system goals, contribute to decision making and evaluation of progress. Employees collaborate with co-workers to support the team process.
Special Note: This position works where children regularly congregate and in accordance with Florida Statues applicants must pass criminal sexual predator and sexual offender check background check.
Selected candidate for hire is subject to passing substance screening: This position is subject to passing a pre-employment substance screening. An applicant who fails to pass a required drug screening test shall be disqualified from employment in any class for a period of five years.
- Implements standards of service that ensure the prompt and efficient resolution of each inquiry by internal and external customers, delivered with the utmost respect and courtesy.
- Provides assistance at all library service locations and stations; Circulation, Information Services (Reference) and Youth/Young Adult.
- Represents Sarasota County to library users.
- Assists users in locating, selecting, and using resources.
- Assists users in use of library equipment and technology.
- Provides directional and services related information to users.
- Communicates library/county use policies and procedures to users.
- Engages in conflict resolution and problem solving.
- Contributes to the development of section policies, procedures, and plan of service.
- Assists library users in person, by phone, or electronically, answering questions, and /or redirecting questions to the appropriate person. Is aware of library services and programs in order to better inform users.
- May participate in planning, presentation, and evaluation of library sponsored programs.
- May facilitate in the setup of program rooms, materials, and equipment for public, library, and county events.
- Attends annual cash management training and assists in all areas of business unit cash management as required.
- Assists in materials checkout/check-in, retrieves and process reserves, billing and missing items processes as needed.
- Gathers statistical information as required.
- Assists in cash management duties such as collecting fines, fees, and Unique Management collections, including such duties as daily shift, drawer counts, and deposits as needed.
- Assists in sorting and processing mail, as needed.
- Performs routine equipment cleaning and maintenance.
- Sorts and shelves materials and maintains an orderly arrangement of materials.
- Assists in operation and basic troubleshooting of automated materials check-in, emptying and swapping materials bins, and routine maintenance.
- Monitors physical condition of materials and recommends repair or de-selection.
- Promotes the materials collection through displays and other methods.
- Participates in cross training in other sections and aids in cross training in their section.
- Provides opportunities for continuing professional development of self and others, especially in acquiring relevant understanding and skills.
- Keeps abreast of developments, new trends, and innovations in libraries.
- Trains, directs, and supervises volunteers as needed. Encourages volunteers to use individual talents to creatively address tasks.
- Works with library staff to develop a team-oriented workplace.
Click Here to View Our Benefits Guide
Minimum Qualifications: A High School Diploma or equivalent education; one-year experience in clerical or public contact work and working knowledge of computer and hardware systems dealing with public response.
Preferred Qualifications: Customer service experience working in libraries or similar settings.
Job Based Competencies: Demonstrates customer service skills, courteous, sensitive and tactful, with rapport and discretion. Ability to manage challenging customer service situations. Speaks clearly and distinctly. Supports and respects diversity. Good listener who communicates well with others and demonstrates openness, sincerity and honesty. Enjoys reading and using materials commonly found in libraries and helping others of all ages enjoy and use library resources. Technical knowledge of phone and computer hardware/software is required. Ability to use standard computers, software and business equipment.
NOTE: When applying for positions, you will be requested to respond to some questions. We recommend that you type your response in a WORD document (or similar software) and save your answers. If for any reason you need to stop and come back to your application, you could be timed out and lose any unsaved information. Applicants are asked to answer a number of questions where you can write a response up to 900 characters. If you save your responses in WORD (or other software) and are time-out of the system for any reason, you will be able to cut and paste the responses into the application when you apply at a later time.
Work Schedule: The library is open from 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. A typical schedule could be 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. or 11:30 to 8:00 p.m. Must be able to participate in all hours of operation including daytime, evening and weekend hours, as well as hours at other locations. May be re-assigned to a different work location.
Physical Demands: Must frequently lift/move up to 20 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. A dolly/cart or team member is available to help.
Info about Sarasota County Government Libraries: Sarasota's County Library System was recognized as the “2012 Library of the Year“ by the Florida Library Association. For more information on Sarasota County Libraries, please go to: www.scgov.net/Library
Sarasota County Government is committed to wellness and successful applicants must be tobacco free for twelve months preceding date of application.
Drug Free Work Environment EOE/AA/ADA