Join the Sonoma County Water Agency (Sonoma Water) as a Right of Way Agent I - Extra-Help!
Please Note: If you are interested in being considered for the Right of Way Agent II - Extra-Help position, you will need to apply to the separate, concurrent recruitment being conducted for that level.
The Right of Way Agent I with Sonoma Water performs the work required to determine ownership and valuation of real property interests; secures the acquisition of property, easements, and rights of way for Water Agency's projects and uses; and facilitates the use or disposal of Water Agency owned real property.
Typical duties for this position include:
- Assessing real property interests, their ownership, and scope
- Appraising/valuating real property interests
- Preparing contract and conveyance documents needed to acquire real property interests for Sonoma Water's projects and uses
- Negotiating with the owners of the real property interests to be acquired by Sonoma Water
- Coordinating and facilitating title and escrow services needed to close purchase/sale transactions
- Facilitating the use or disposal of Sonoma Water owned real property
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Applicable experience as a Right of Way Agent for a public agency or entity
- IRWA certification as a RWP or SR/WA
- Applicable Work experience or training in real property appraisal
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively with a diverse population of individual and business interests
- Excellent computer software/application skills and experience, including MS Office products (Word, Excel), Multiple Listing Service or equivalent real estate listing services and GIS applications
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- An outgoing and engaging personality
About Sonoma Water
Sonoma Water is a special district formed by the California State Legislature in 1949 and is responsible for providing a safe and reliable water supply to its customers in Sonoma and Marin counties. Sonoma Water also maintains 75 miles of flood control channels and provides sanitation services. Employing approximately 230 employees, Sonoma Water consists of five divisions including Engineering and Resource Planning, Environmental Resources and Public Affairs, Water/Wastewater Operations, Maintenance, and Administrative Services. Sonoma Water supports the concept of environmental sustainability, focusing on renewable power sources, and strives to be a leader in its water conservation and fishery restoration programs.
Please note: Employees of Sonoma Water are employees of a special district and are not subject to the provisions of the Civil Service Ordinance of the County of Sonoma.
Extra-help employees relieve or augment permanent staff. Temporary, extra-help employees are not in the classified civil service and do not have property rights to permanently allocated positions. In addition, they do not receive most employee benefits such as: long-term disability insurance coverage; accrual of vacation; participation in the County retirement program; or eligibility to take promotional examinations. Temporary, extra-help employees are limited in their employment to a maximum of one calendar year. These employees must be off of work for three months before they can be re-employed on an extra help basis. Extra-help employees who meet the eligibility requirements may qualify for a County contribution toward medical coverage.
This recruitment is being conducted to fill one Extra-Help position in Sonoma Water. This employment list may also be used to fill future extra-help (temporary) positions as they occur during the active status of the list.
APPLICATION SUBMISSIONS REQUIRE THE SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE BE COMPLETED.
Education and Experience: Any combination of education and experience which would provide an opportunity to acquire the knowledge and abilities. Such education might include course work in real property appraisal or engineering technology.
License: Possession of a valid driver's license at the appropriate level including special endorsements, as required by the State of California, may be required depending upon assignment to perform the essential job functions of the position.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Working knowledge of: real estate title work and sources to be checked to determine ownership and legal descriptions of property; the forms, terminology and procedures used in recording deeds and in obtaining dedications of land.
Knowledge of: laws, regulations, and procedures pertaining to the acquisition, disposal and leasing of public lands and the acquisition and termination of easements and access rights; appraisal and engineering practices and terminology used in land survey and property acquisition work.
Ability to: establish and maintain effective relationships with, and to secure the cooperation of the public; perform analytical work carefully and accurately; read and interpret maps, plans, blueprints and real property descriptions; speak and write effectively and to prepare clear and concise reports.
Selection Procedure & Some Helpful Tips When Applying
- Your application information and your responses to the supplemental questions are evaluated and taken into consideration throughout the entire selection process.
- You should list all employers and positions held within the last ten years in the work history section of your application. Be as thorough as possible when responding to the supplemental questions.
- You may include history beyond ten years if related to the position for which you are applying. If you held multiple positions with one employer, list out each position separately.
- Failure to follow these instructions may impact your competitiveness in this process or may result in disqualification.
Please visit Getting a Job with the County of Sonoma to review more detailed information about the application, examination, and department selection processes.
APPLICATION SUBMISSIONS REQUIRE THE SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE BE COMPLETED.
The selection procedure will consist of the following examination:
An Application and Supplemental Questionnaire Appraisal (pass/not pass) will be conducted to evaluate each applicant's combination of educational coursework, training, experience, knowledge, and abilities which relate to this position to ensure satisfaction of the minimum qualifications for this position. Candidates who possess the minimum qualifications for the position will be placed on an extra-help employment list and referred to the department. The department may contact candidates from the employment list who possess the most appropriate job-related qualifications for further consideration.
A background investigation is required prior to employment. Candidates referred to departments for a selection interview are typically required to sign authorization and release forms enabling such an investigation. Failure to sign prescribed forms will result in the candidate not being considered further for that vacancy. Reference information will not be made available to applicants.
Additional requirements, such as successful completion of a physical exam, drug screen, etc., may apply, depending on the duties and responsibilities of the position. If you receive a conditional job offer for the position, the requirements upon which the offer are contingent will be outlined in the conditional job letter. You may also review the Job Classification Screening Schedule to determine the requirements for this position.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications are accepted on-line at: www.yourpath2sonomacounty.org. Paper applications may be submitted by person, fax (707-565-3770), email, or through the mail. All applications and appropriate supplemental information as outlined in the job bulletin must be RECEIVED by the time and date specified on the first page of this job announcement. Applications received after the recruitment closes will not be accepted.
The County of Sonoma prioritizes and is committed to continuously providing a workplace where equal employment opportunity is afforded to all people. Please view the County's Equal Employment Opportunity Policy for further information.
HR Analyst: EP
HR Technician: AC