Careers that Change Lives
The Principal R&D Engineer will use their high level technical and leadership skills to advance the development of an innovative product to treat aortic disease. The engineer will apply technical principles, theories, and new concepts to collaboratively solve difficult technical problems. Responsibilities will focus on the development of implant designs, including stent design, test method development, project management, failure analysis, regulatory submission, and documentation.
The engineer will work under the general direction of the project lead but will have latitude in determining methods of solving problems, design and construction of prototypes, and creation of test methods with associated product testing. The engineer will participate in cross-functional and cross-site development teams that are responsible for different aspects of the project such as implant development and pre-clinical evaluations.
- Apply advanced problem solving skills, critical thinking, technical principles, and theories to solve complex problems in the field of aortic disease treatment
- Provide technical leadership in the development of self-expanding (Nitinol) implants utilizing knowledge in material properties, implant design, and in vivo conditions.
- Develop product concepts and conduct testing, evaluates results using appropriate statistical analysis tools, and generate test reports
- Work with internal and external advisors/leaders to determine product requirements
- Create manufacturing processes, write process instructions, and train operators
- Work under direction of project lead toward pre-determined long range goals and objectives
- Act as advisor and mentor to other engineers and technicians
A Day in the Life
Responsibilities may include the following and other duties may be assigned.
- Designs, develops, analyzes, troubleshoots and provides technical skills during research and/or product development.
- Designs studies to investigate specific life science questions within field of expertise.
- May be involved in product research and development and/or clinical trials.
- Translates research discoveries into usable and marketable products.
Must Have: Minimum Requirements
- Bachelors degree required
- Minimum of 7 years of relevant experience, or advanced degree with a minimum of 5 years relevant experience
Nice to Have
- Bachelor's degree in engineering (Mechanical, Materials, or Biomedical)
- Experience in medical device product development
- High level proficiency of technical principles, theories, and design concepts in the field of medical device design
- Nitinol material and stent design and processing experience a plus.
- Demonstrated use of engineering and scientific principles, mechanical design and prototyping;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Ability to lead others from a technical perspective while building a collaborative work environment.
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
- Ability to work well in a team
- Experience with failure analysis, statistical techniques
Travel Expectations: About 10% of the time
Together, we can change healthcare worldwide. At Medtronic, we push the limits of what technology, therapies and services can do to help alleviate pain, restore health and extend life. We challenge ourselves and each other to make tomorrow better than yesterday. It is what makes this an exciting and rewarding place to be.
We want to accelerate and advance our ability to create meaningful innovations - but we will only succeed with the right people on our team. Let's work together to address universal healthcare needs and improve patients' lives. Help us shape the future.
Physical Job Requirements
The physical demands described within the Responsibilities section of this job description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. For Office Roles: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to be independently mobile. The employee is also required to interact with a computer, and communicate with peers and co-workers. Contact your manager or local HR to understand the Work Conditions and Physical requirements that may be specific to each role. (ADA-United States of America)