Administrative Secretary III
Facilities and Maintenance Department Reports To:
Deputy Superintendent of Operations
Administrative Assistants Overtime Status:
All positions with Santa Fe Public Schools require a post offer/pre-employment background check. Some positions have additional requirements as established by Federal or State Rules and Regulations.
Provides direct support to the Deputy Superintendent of Operations, and will also provide support to other supervisors within the Operations Department. Schedules and organizes meetings, takes meeting notes, proof reads reports, handles confidential reports in a professional manner, performs and/or oversees a variety of associated administrative, fiscal, staff support, and planning activities, some of which require advanced or specialized knowledge and skills, such as budget administration and control, equipment, facilities, and inventory management, specialized record keeping and database management, and/or specified information-gathering projects and tasks. Coordinates and facilitates meetings, program functions, and/or special events, as appropriate. May train and supervises lower graded staff. May coordinate specified administrative activities and reporting across multiple organizational units within a department. Has regular interaction with high level organizational and external leaders.
Basic minimum requirements are subject to change from time to time to meet the needs of the Institute.
Minimum: Two years post high school training (college, university, business school) plus five (5) years of related experience or equivalent combination of directly related education and experience.
Knowledge/Skills and Abilities:
Ability to interact with leaders in the District and at times from outside the District. Ability to create, compose, and edit written materials. Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing. Database management skills. Ability to record and transcribe meeting minutes. Ability to maintain calendars and schedule appointments. Knowledge of supplies, equipment, and/or services ordering and inventory control. Will require excellent, communication skills, and the ability to work as a valued team player. Ability to lead and train staff and/or students. Knowledge of general accounting principles. Records maintenance skills. Receptionist skills. Ability to gather and analyze statistical data and generate reports. Ability to gather data, compile information, and prepare reports. Ability to analyze and solve problems. Word processing and/or data entry skills. Ability to make administrative/procedural decisions and judgments. Organizing and coordinating skills. Dependent upon specific assignment, may be required to be familiar with related regulatory guidelines. Highly computer literate, including Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, and Access). Ability to compose, produce, review and edit technical material. Excellent grammar, spelling, and punctuation and general writing skills. Excellent organizational skills and able to prioritize works. Able to work independently.
Essential Job Functions
All functions are performed in accordance with established policies, procedures, safety and environmental regulations, facility and computer security policies and procedures. Functions are subject to change from time to time to meet the needs of the organization. Current essential functions include the following:
- Oversees and/or performs a range of diverse administrative activities for the Deputy Superintendent or Citizen's Review Committee. Serves as a central point of liaison with other departments and external constituencies in the resolution of a variety of day-to-day matters concerning the District.
- Utilizes knowledge and understanding of underlying operational issues to create, compose, and edit technical and/or administrative correspondence and documentation.
- Assists in administrative problem solving, program/project planning, development, and execution of stated goals and objectives. Assists in project planning, and development and execution of stated goals and objectives.
- Researches information, compiles statistics, and gathers and computes various data; prepares special and/or one-time reports, summaries, or replies to inquiries, selecting relevant data from a variety of sources.
- Coordinates and performs a range of staff and/or operational support activities for the unit; serves as a liaison with other departments and operating units in the resolution of day-to-day administrative and operational problems.
- Operates personal computer to compose and edit correspondence and/or memoranda from dictation, verbal direction, or from knowledge of established unit, District, and policies. May prepare, transcribe, compose, type, edit, and distribute documents. Formats material as required and assures proper grammar; punctuation, and spelling. Documents produced may include letters, reports, memos, protocols, agendas and/or minutes of meetings.
- Schedules and coordinates meetings, events, interviews, appointments, and/or other similar activities for supervisors, which may include coordinating travel and lodging arrangements.
- Prepares or assists with the preparation of scheduled and/or ad hoc statistical and narrative reports; performs basic information gathering and analysis and/or forecasting, as specifically directed, and in accordance with pre-established procedures.
- Establishes, maintains, and updates files, databases, records, and/or other documents; develops and maintains data, and performs routine analyses and calculations in the processing of data for recurring internal reports, such as payroll time sheets, sick and annual leave documents, purchasing, budgetary, and employment documents, and/or stock and capital equipment inventories.
- Sorts, screens, reviews, and distributes incoming and outgoing mail; composes, prepares, or ensures timely responses to a variety of written inquiries.
- Requisitions supplies, printing, maintenance, and other services.
- Leads and trains lower graded staff and/or student employees, as required.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Resources Used in Performing Job Include (but are not limited to):
Standard office equipment. Computer software including the applicant tracking system, Google Suite and HRIS. Must be familiar with Microsoft Office, especially Excel.
Must have the ability to sit at a desk or computer for long periods during the day. Heavy telephone use. Requires excellent interpersonal skills to deal with calls both inside and outside of the District. Manual dexterity to operate computers and other office equipment. Requires light physical exertion, including some walking, bending, and reaching.
This position operates in a professional office environment with frequent interruptions. May be hectic with constant ringing of telephones and high demands.
- Demonstrates reliability as evidenced by attendance and punctuality.
- Properly notifies supervisor of absences or tardiness.
- Begins and completes work within allotted time.
- Protects the District's resources through appropriate and careful use of supplies and equipment.
- Is honest and trust worthy.
- Guards confidential information.