Staff Database Engineer
Staff Database Engineer
LS Dev Ops Team | Santa Clara, CA, United States
Your goal – to improve the education process and better the lives of students – reliable, scalable and maintainable application database engineering
Organization: LS Engineering
Chegg Learning Services Engineering provides products and solutions that serve over 2m students annually.
Role: Staff Database Engineer
Chegg is looking for a highly qualified Staff Database Engineer to join our global team. While we are proud of what we have accomplished, we realize that what got us here won’t get us there. We are looking for a staff-level database engineer who can help all of our software engineering teams transitions to the next level.
The ideal candidate for this role will have strong database engineering skills; query design, database schema, database configuration, tuning/performance, troubleshooting, etc. They will also be an excellent teacher. The goal is to take your skillset and spread it to the rest of the organization.
This person will collaborate closely with their Software Engineering peers, DevOps Engineering peers, IT/Operations peers. We thrive on a culture of innovation and are always eager to support projects that transform the way teams operate.
- Partner with our Software Engineering teams to create optimized database schema designs, queries, best practices
- Partner with our DevOps Engineering team to help in database configuration, tuning/performance, configuration, deployment and setup
- Partner with our IT/Operations team to help with ongoing maintenance, monitoring, and production troubleshooting
- Partner with Architecture to articulate a vision for choosing database persistence layer engines.
- Teach, teach, teach. Documentation, group lessons, one on one coaching.
- Develop a continuous improvement process on our use of database services.
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science, with 5-10 years of experience with database engineering
- Extensive experience with MySQL, Postgres, MSSQL and other relational engines.
- Extensive experience with Cassandra, Mongo, and other non-relational engines.
- Experience with AWS Relational Databases (e.g. Amazon RDS, Aurora)
- Experience with AWS Non-Relational Database
- Experience in database engineering skills: query design, database schema, database configuration, tuning/performance
- Experience in setting up, managing, optimizing production level databases
- Experience with Linux operating system administration and production database troubleshooting.
- Experience with large production databases, with examples of troubleshooting outages on production
- Capable of quickly analyzing complex problems, understanding dependencies, and deducing the root cause
- Experience with programming languages such as Java, PHP, and others.
- A Team player who willingly jumps in and uses their broad experience to recommend and implement the best solution for our environment
- Strong interpersonal skills being able to teach and mentor fellow engineers
- Strong communication skills
As the leading student-first connected learning platform, Chegg's Student Hub makes higher education more affordable and more accessible, all while improving student outcomes. Chegg is a publicly-held company based in Santa Clara, CA with offices in San Francisco, New York, Portland, India, Israel, Berlin, and Ukraine. Chegg Student Hub Services Include Chegg Study, Chegg Tutoring, Chegg Writing Tools, Test Prep, Careers Search, Internship Admissions, and College Admissions.
Life at Chegg: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYHnkwiD7Oo
Chegg Benefits: http://www.chegg.com/jobs/benefits
Chegg for Good: http://blog.chegg.com/category/chegg-for-good/
Glassdoor Best Places to Work 2015: http://bit.ly/GDBPTW
For more information, visit www.chegg.com
Chegg is an equal opportunity employer