Computer Vision Scientist
Looking to create a meaningful impact and drive the next wave of machine learning innovation focused on Computer Vision (CV) and its application to emerging technologies? Come join a team of passionate and customer-obsessed individuals who are having fun and making history from within a start-up like environment.
Our Computer Vision science problems generally involve recognition, content-based image retrieval, image similarity, object/instance detection, data augmentation, segmentation and anomaly detection for an emerging technology. The ideal candidate will have deep and broad experience with theoretical approaches and practical implementations of Computer Vision techniques in the areas of deep learning, including self-supervised and semi-supervised learning. The ideal candidate also enjoys
working in a multi-disciplinary team of engineers, scientists and business leaders and is able to map business goals to scientific problems.
Our team puts a high value on work-life harmony. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
This position can be based out of Arlington, VA (HQ2), Cupertino Area, CA, or New York City, NY.
Key job responsibilities
- Invent or adapt new scientific approaches, models or algorithms driven by customers’ needs, including taking on challenging problems, elicit requirements, and deliver innovative solutions into production with large customer impact.
- Work with cross-functional science, engineering and product teams, and influence our science and business strategy by making insightful contributions to team roadmaps, goals, priorities, and approach.
- Research, design and implement scalable computer vision models to solve problems that matter to our customers in an iterative fashion.
- Mentor and teach other less experienced scientists, and serve in the internal and/or external science community by reviewing peers’ research.
- Stay informed on the latest computer vision, machine learning, deep learning and/or artificial intelligence trends and make presentations to the larger engineering and applied science communities.
A day in the life
This is a new role for a start-up team with an enormous opportunity to create impact to millions of Amazon customers globally. As an Applied scientist, you will provide Computer Vision expertise that helps accelerate the business and create impact for our customers. You will research, experiment, build, collaborate, and deliver various models that help us innovate different ways to enhance customer experience. You will need to be entrepreneurial, wear many hats, and work in a highly collaborative environment. We like to move fast, experiment, iterate and then scale quickly, thoughtfully balancing speed and quality.
About the team
Customer Experience and Business Trends is an organization made up of a diverse suite of functions dedicated to deeply understanding and improving customer experience, globally. We are a team of builders that develop products, services, ideas, and various ways of leveraging data to influence product and service offerings – for almost every business at Amazon – for every customer (e.g., consumers, developers, sellers/brands, employees, investors, streamers, gamers). Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. We offer a flexible schedule so you can have a well-balanced life — both in and outside of work.
- MS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical field.
- Programming experience with at least one language such as Python, Java, C++ including object-oriented design.
- 2+ years of experience of building machine learning models using CV for business application.
- Able to map business goals to scientific problems.
- Significant peer-reviewed scientific contributions in premier journals and conferences.
- Strong CS fundamentals in data structures, problem solving, algorithm design and complexity analysis.
- Ability to convey mathematical results to non-science stakeholders.
- Experience with defining research and development practices in an applied environment.
- Proven track record in technically leading and mentoring scientists.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.