Design Technologist, Alexa Knowledge
Our teams power the majority of fact-based questions answered by Alexa today. We’ve built the deepest and most flexible knowledge graph on the planet, containing billions of entities, hundreds of billions of facts, and an extensible presentation layer used to build customer delighting experiences.
Some questions we answer:
“Alexa, how old was Abraham Lincoln when he was President?“
“Alexa, tell me when the Super Bowl starts.“
“Alexa, what’s the tallest building in North Dakota?“
We are looking for a design technologist who can own and improve the experiences of all our internal tools and help us deliver new rich Q&A experiences to Alexa customers more efficiently.
Ideally, you are someone who has experiences working on complex tools and information architectures. Not intimidated by the wide landscape Alexa needs to cover, but excited by it. We want you to have a board skillset, and own experience improvements and prototypes end to end. We expect you to strike a good balance between being pragmatic and visionary. You will innovate on-behalf of our 80+ Knowledge Engineers worldwide, translate and aggregate their needs to customer-focused working prototypes, collaborate with stakeholders across the board, influence their roadmaps, and see your design vision to realization.
Key job responsibilities
Impact you'll have
· Increase the productivity of 80+ Knowledge Engineers around the world to answer more questions and deliver better experiences for Alexa customers.
· Make the knowledge management tooling so easy to use that more can more tools can be available to 3rd party Alexa developers worldwide as well.
· Prototype Q&A experiences for all Alexa customers and influence the product roadmap.
What you'll do
· Work closely with internal Knowledge Engineers, understand their workflows and pain points, propose design solutions and own the entire experience improvement life cycle (ideation, mockup, prototype, implementation, adoption, analysis).
· Work closely with internal Knowledge Engineers, aggregate their need for Alexa end-customer experiences, propose and add new components to the design system to enable new end-customer experiences.
· Work closely with engineers to design and maintain a consistent design system for all knowledge management tools.
Who you'll work with
· Curious and driven knowledge engineers, software engineers, product managers, designers, and UX researchers working on answering Alexa customers’ questions in Santa Barbara and around the globe.
· Software developers and designers across several Alexa teams, including Alexa's design systems for end-customer and developer experiences.
· Industry leaders in smart assistant in Alexa AI teams.
A day in the life
As a UX technologist on our team, you'll work on both the internal and external features to power Alexa's Q&A experiences: research into the needs of internal and external customers, collaborate with software engineers to understand the system, propose design solutions in working prototypes, implement the solutions, leverage stakeholders to drive feature adoption, and measure success.
About the team
See what our team has to say about working in Santa Barbara in this 2-minute video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hENWxNrobGI
Santa Barbara boasts a vibrant tech scene with 40+ startups and established companies. Located just 50 minutes away from Los Angeles’ outer suburbs, Santa Barbara and Ventura counties offer other major industries like hospitality, aerospace, healthcare, and more. For partners or families moving to the area, Santa Barbara and neighboring towns Carpinteria, Ventura, and Camarillo offer a range of options for communities to live, learn, and work in.
· 3+ years of experience as a front-end technologist, engineer, user experience prototyper, user experience designer, interaction designer, or similar role.
· An online portfolio or samples of work demonstrating relevant experience
· Experience in complex workflows for technical customers and/or experience in delivering design solutions for projects of large scope and complexity.
· Fluency in best practices for user interface design, and some light experience with interaction design or user experience workflows
· Deep understanding of human motivations, capabilities, and limitations as applied to the design of interactive systems.
· Owning the full design experience - from mockups, to visual assets, to interactions
· Familiarity with implementing or maintaining Design Systems and/or front-end component libraries
· Ability to manage ambiguity, work autonomously, and multi-task in an agile environment.
· BS/MS in computer science, technology, design, or equivalent professional experience
· Strong verbal communication and presentation skills.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.