LOCATION 12647 Alcosta Blvd San Ramon CA 94583
The Area Human Resources Director (AHRD) leads and manages a team of Area HR Managers. The AHRD provides leadership and strategic consulting to the Regional Vice President (RVP), actively participating as a thought leader in driving business performance from a people and talent perspective. This role is responsible for the design and support of all Human Resources (HR) initiatives for the region, and works with the RVP and district leaders and corporate teams on the most effective strategies, with special focus on the people impacts. This includes all phases of planning, implementing, and monitoring for the life cycle of employment; from Talent Acquisition, Compensation, and Benefits, to Talent Development, Retention, and Performance Management. The position is responsible for coaching and developing field leadership at all levels -- with focus on the RVP and District Manager levels.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILTIES Estimated % of Time Spent
- Strategic partnership with Business
- Develop highly collaborative relationships with RVP and District Managers within the region, providing strategic counsel, feedback, and coaching to field leadership.
- Provide forward-looking counsel, coaching, and creative solutions that enhance individual and organizational performance.
- Participate in business leadership meetings as a strategic partner to identify people related implications.
- Work systematically to diagnose problems, analyze data, identify root causes, and recommend solutions for HR related business issues. Develop creative and innovative solutions for improvement.
- Visit club locations on a regular basis independently, with field leadership and HR team members to identify trends and issues, provide guidance and coaching to club leaders on all HR and people related activities.
- Develop and maintain strong partnership with corporate functions, acting as a two-way conduit of information and influence between corporate and the field. 40%
- Talent Management / People Planning / Organizational Development
- Work closely with regional and district business leaders to help create, implement and manage the people strategies to align with business objectives.
- Lead the enhancement of team capabilities for the region through talent assessment, development, and forward-thinking organizational planning -- workforce planning, bench strength, succession planning.
- Partner with regional and district business leaders to develop plans to address short term and long term talent needs for region.
- Develop, monitor, and educate field leadership on staffing methodology, sourcing tactics, diversity, and selection process to improve the flow, quality, and selection of job candidates.
- Participate in selection process of all district level positions and oversee selection of all club management positions.
- Lead and support company change management initiatives and serve as a catalyst to ensure changes are implemented with appropriate attention on the change process and people element. 20%
- Leadership and Management of Human Resources Team
- Build and lead a team of highly functioning Area HR Managers that provide strategic and influence to district and club leadership.
- Provide team leadership, development, and positively influence morale on individual and team levels.
- Establish objectives to achieve business results, creating performance and developmental plans for direct reports on an ongoing basis. 20%
- Thought Leader within HR
- Act as a senior subject matter expert in strategic company initiatives and guide business leaders and AHRMs in implementation.
- Lead end-to-end project management of assigned projects, setting direction and taking partners and coordinating across functions as needed.
- Bring research and best practices to the table as a thought partner within HR. 15%
- Interpret and communicate company policies, and laws and collaborate with legal counsel and field leadership to maintain compliance with all federal, state, and local employment laws.
- Support management with disciplinary process and all employee separations to ensure fairness and consistency and to minimize potential liability.
- Partner with internal Team Member Relations team on employee relations and internal investigations and advise and collaborate with business leaders to determine resolution and team member outcomes.
- Other duties as assigned. 5%
This position reports to the Senior Director, HR, and works directly with the Regional Vice President, District Managers, Area HR Managers, Corporate and Regional Team Members. This position works effectively with both Corporate and Field positions, including but not limited to Compensation, Benefits, HRSS, Payroll, Talent Acquisition, Talent Development, Facilities, Loss Prevention, and Legal.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Proven ability to develop strong strategic working relationships with leaders and act as a strategic partner on all people related decisions.
- Strong abilities in root cause analysis and ideating and successfully implementing effective solutions.
- Knowledge of effective HR practices, methods and processes in all areas including recruiting and selection, compensation and benefits, employment law and employee relations, performance management, and training and development.
- Proven ability to lead and develop a team of highly successful HR Business Partners.
- Thrive in a fast paced and changing environment while maintaining focus on delivering strategic objectives.
- Ability to work independently setting own priorities and objectives with supervisory consultation.
- Skilled at focusing on desired results, determining what is important and urgent, identifying next steps, and delegating effectively to meet deadlines and achieve desired results.
- Ability to maintain highly confidential information.
- Detail-oriented, highly organized, and able to effectively manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability to effectively present to and facilitate both large and small groups.
- Knowledge of State and Federal laws, regulations and requirements related to HR including ERISA, EEO, LOAs, ADA, Worker's Compensation, COBRA, Wage & Hour and others.
Minimum Educational Level/Certifications
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Human Resources, or related field.
Minimum Work Experience and Qualifications
- 7+ years of progressive HR Business Partner experience in a multi-unit field organization
- 3+ years of experience leading HR Business Partners (or equivalent).
FUNCTIONAL GROUP Human Resources