Senior Software Engineer — Ruby on Rails/Unix
We are looking for an exceptional software engineer to join our team building hosted web application using Ruby on Rails. We don't necessarily expect prior Rails experience, but we want to see an impressive software development background, strong motivation and the desire to learn. We consider specific prior knowledge and skills secondary to the ability to get things done, intelligence, motivation and experience.
The ideal candidate will be a generalist, with experience developing both large systems (e.g. operating systems, databases, applications servers, compilers, large-scale enterprise software) and application software. Experience with UNIX is a must. Experience with web applications and databases is extremely helpful. Ruby/Rails experience would be great.
Pluron, Inc is the maker of Acunote, online project management software for Agile development. We are based in Foster City, CA. This job is with our R&D group in Ukraine (Kiev and Nikolayev), but we will consider qualified candidates elsewhere.
Qualifications (several are desirable, NOT all are required)
- Experience developing web applications and understanding of the underlying technologies (e.g. HTTP, SSL, tcp)
- Experience with Ruby on Rails stack
- Extensive experience with relational data modeling, SQL, and other database technologies
- Experience with web services
- Exceptional problem solving skills
- Good English
- Active participation in open-source projects, mailing lists, blogs
- Good writing skills
- Computer Science or related degree
- Expert knowledge and extensive experience with C and C++
- Mastery of some number of interesting languages (e.g. Lisp, Smalltalk, OCaml, Haskell, Perl, Python, Ruby)
- Commitment to creating modular, loosely coupled designs and writing easily understandable, documented, maintainable code
- Affinity for automated test coverage, unit testing, test-driven development, refactoring
- Experience with concurrency and distributed computing
- Experince with regular expressions
- Extensive experience using UNIX both as advanced user and an administrator
- Experience administering Debian Linux, web servers, PostgreSQL, Postfix, Subversion, MediaWiki
- Experience with source control tools, e.g. Subversion, Perforce, Git, ClearCase, CVS
- Ability and desire to automate tasks and create tools
- Mastery of an advanced programmer's editor — Emacs, vi, Eclipse, KDevelop, etc.
Please send your resume and cover letter as plain text, PDF, or MS Word to . Please include your name in the Subject of the email.