Join a supportive and collaborative team of writers and editors dedicated to building high-quality content for customers who use Splunk software.
Technical writers on our team play a vital role in getting our customers up and running quickly. In this role, you'll help software developers, site reliability engineers, and technical operations teams get insights into their applications and infrastructure in real time with the help of the monitoring, analytics, and response tools of the Splunk Observability Suite.
As a technical writer at Splunk, you'll work in a fast-paced environment, collaborating daily with software engineers, product managers, other technical writers, and editors. You’ll craft customer-facing documentation in GitHub using reStructuredText and Markdown documentation formats. In our Agile environment, you will be continuously updating your content with improvements and new features.
To succeed in this role, you are a confident writer of enterprise software documentation who is passionate about learning new concepts and clearly explaining complex technologies. This position offers continuous learning and frequent direct interaction with enthusiastic customers who rely on Splunk documentation every day to accomplish their goals.
This position is remote during COVID, then located at either the San Francisco or San Jose office long term.
Please include a cover letter with your application.
- Craft and maintain new, high-quality documentation based on customer use cases associated with Splunk Observability product offerings.
- Propose and implement structural and organizational improvements to the documentation set so that users can easily find information relevant to their requirements, use cases, and environments.
- Test and validate documentation accuracy and usability, both on your own and in collaboration with technical field, engineering, and support colleagues.
- Participate in project planning and program status reporting with engineering teams and product management.
- Lead the process of triaging and prioritizing incoming documentation requests for the Observability area.
- Edit, clarify, and proofread documentation written by others.
- Act as a subject matter expert for your product area by responding to customer feedback and helping colleagues with questions.
- Manage multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced, constantly changing environment.
- A minimum of 8 years in a technical writing or lead writing role.
- Comfortable leading meetings, presenting, and communicating status to a diverse set of stakeholders.
- Experience creating documentation designed around customer use cases rather than product features.
- Experience designing and delivering clear, accurate documentation targeted at developers, DevOps, or infrastructure and operations teams.
- Experience working in an Agile environment, preferably with both onsite and remote team members working in multiple time zones.
- Experience using Git as a version management tool, including working with branches, creating pull requests, and resolving merge conflicts.
- Experience collaborating closely with other writers to deliver shared objectives.
- Degree in Computer Science or related field, or relevant professional experience.
- Experience using and documenting application management or monitoring products, targeting multiple audiences, output formats, and use cases.
- Experience installing and configuring cloud infrastructure and services.
- Experience managing documentation migration projects.
- Experience mentoring and coaching other writers.
We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which you are applying.
For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Join us as we pursue our disruptive new vision to make machine data accessible, usable and valuable to everyone. We are a company filled with people who are passionate about our product and seek to deliver the best experience for our customers. At Splunk, we’re committed to our work, customers, having fun and most meaningfully to each other’s success. Learn more about Splunk careers and how you can become a part of our journey.