Outset Medical is a privately held company backed by a top-tier syndicate of investors, including Fidelity, T. Rowe Price, Perceptive Advisors, The Partner Fund and Warburg Pincus. We are a pioneering medical technology company focused on reducing the cost and complexity of dialysis. The company’s Tablo™ system is the consumer product version of what today is a terribly complex and prohibitively cumbersome machine for patients to use themselves. We combined consumer product simplicity, wireless data transmission and real-time integrated water purification to enable dialysis anytime, in any setting, managed by anyone.
Tablo is the first new dialysis technology approved by FDA in over 15 years. Designed to dramatically improve the care experience for patients and the cost-efficiency for providers and payers, Tablo is aimed at enabling service model innovation in a space that has not fundamentally changed since the 1980s. The company is in the early stages of full commercial launch in US dialysis clinics and hospitals. With a clinical trial underway to expand FDA clearance to include the use of the device at home, Outset expects to enter the home dialysis market in 2019 as well.
The Senior Electrical Engineer will join the Advanced Engineering Team in researching, designing, developing, and testing electronic systems for capital equipment medical devices. Areas of responsibility include the design of hardware components; generating specifications; system and subsystem integration; and verification and validation efforts in accordance with standards and requirements.
The Senior Electrical Engineer must be able to design electrical circuits, write detailed electrical specifications, test procedures/reports, generate design output files, and work within the requirements/regulations of Outset’s quality system. Ease of traveling off-site and excellent customer service skills are important within the scope of field.
Essential Job Functions
- Designs, develops, and tests analog/digital circuits in commercialized medical devices and automated test systems.
- Researches and tests new sensors and actuators for use within the system
- Builds prototypes, perf boards, and proves design feasibility, functionality, and performance.
- Supports Manufacturing in troubleshooting operations involving medical devices through assembly and test.
- Evaluates and selects components and generates component specifications as well as functional and test specifications.
- Documents all phases of the design including requirements, test plans, design/technical reviews, test procedures, test reports, as well as design output files, specifications, etc..
- Identifies, evaluates, and recommends key suppliers based on technical abilities, experience, history, and certifications.
- Project ownership from concept to release, and production support
- Facilitates and maintains constant communications with key suppliers as point of contact, and provides updates to internal stakeholders during project development.
- PCBA design and layout.
- Works with cross functional departments including Product Development, Innovation, Systems Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Software Engineering, Quality, and Manufacturing.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- BS Electrical Engineering or related. MS is preferred.
- Minimum of 8 years or more of relevant experience in circuit or system design, development, integration, or testing.
- Fluency in Altium Designer
- Familiarity with Solidworks
- Familiarity with different sensor technologies (optical, ultrasonic, etc.)
- Familiarity with motor technologies and associated driving circuits (stepper motor, BLDC, DC)
- Familiar with applicable standards and regulations for medical device design.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Excellent organization, documentation, and written/verbal communication skills.
- Experience with the generation, review, release, and understanding of formal engineering drawings and documents required for the fabrication and assembly.
- Experience working with vendors and contract manufacturers for fabrication and assembly.
- Experience with the use of laboratory instruments and tools (e.g. DMM, mixed signal oscilloscope, logic analyzer, spectrum analyzer, and network analyzer).
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment with strong collaboration skills.
- Strong team leadership skills and the ability to work independently.