We are looking for an experienced software engineer and technical leader to join our architecture team. Members of our group work closely with engineering teams, product managers, and leadership to turn business problems into technical solutions by providing architectural expertise, mentorship, and design guidance.
This position is in our Telemetry Data Platform which operates a large scale data pipeline; allowing customers to send, store, query, and stream their data at scale.
Opportunity to work from a remote office may be available depending on applicant location.
What your playground will look like
- A constantly evolving architecture, with hundreds of containerized services across multiple agile teams.
- A hybrid datacenter / cloud environment accepting over 50 billion HTTP requests a day from our customers and querying more than 1.5 trillion data points each minute.
What You’ll Do
- Collaborate with the data platform engineering leadership to build our technical strategy.
- Steer teams toward technical decisions that fit well with the long term vision.
- Help teams choose the right tools for the job at hand and utilize the chosen technologies efficient.
- Identify and drive to resolution any cross-team and cross-org technical issues, working with other Architects and leaders as needed.
- Communicate, communicate, communicate: Architects serve as the connective tissue between teams and organizations for all technical matters.
If you are ready for this job, you’ve spent years building high-availability, high-scale, production systems. You have had plenty of front-line experience in the past, and are now more interested in how complex systems work together than in optimizing that routine. You’ve made mistakes and learned from them, but you’ve also been a part of excellent successes.
- 8+ years of technical leadership helping engineering teams thrive
- Experience building and operating high-scale distributed systems
- Ability to collaborate and impact decisions at the interpersonal level
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Masters Degree or PhD in a STEM field will be great.
- Full stack knowledge of systems fundamentals
- Experience with Java, Apache Kafka, and Apache Flink
Please note that visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Our office is in the center of downtown Portland, situated in a thriving tech community in the Pacific Northwest. We enjoy easy commute access and a plethora of good eats and great coffee. We provide competitive compensation including equity and big-company benefits (medical, dental, etc.)—all while maintaining the energy, agility and fun of a start-up.
New Relic (NYSE: NEWR) is a cloud-based platform that gives developers, engineers, operations, and management a clear view of what’s happening in today’s complex software environments. So they can find and fix problems faster, and deliver delightful experiences for their customers. That's why the world’s best engineering teams rely on New Relic to visualize, analyze, and troubleshoot their software. It’s the simplest, most powerful cloud-based observability platform, built to create more perfect software. All from one place.
Founded in 2008, we’re a global company passionate about building an inclusive culture where all employees feel a deep sense of belonging, where every ‘Relic’ can bring their whole self to work and feel supported and empowered to thrive. We’re consistently recognized as a distinguished employer and are committed to building world-class products and an award-winning culture. For more information, visit newrelic.com.
Our Hiring Process
In compliance with applicable law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work and to complete employment eligibility verification. Note: Our stewardship of the data of thousands of customers’ means that a criminal background check is required to join New Relic.
We will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records based on individual circumstances and in accordance with applicable law including, but not limited to, the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. https://sfgov.org/olse/sites/default/files/Document/FCO%20Poster%20Set%20All%20Languages%2010%2001%2018.pdf
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. New Relic does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes, and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with New Relic.
New Relic is an equal opportunity employer. We eagerly seek a diverse applicant pool and hire without regard to race, color, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical abilities (or disability), age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.