Payroll Specialist, San Jose CA
As one of America’s largest contractors, specifically focused on electrical construction projects, what we do is important, but how we do it is what makes us different. At Cupertino Electric Inc., we focus on relationships, transparency, and results—not fancy buzzwords and empty promises. Our values of People, Integrity, Excellence, Innovation, and Safety are reflected in how we treat one another, how we interact with customers, how we think about our business, and how we approach problems. We believe that building great communities is just as important as building great projects—and reflect that with our generous giving and volunteering programs.
We are offering this exciting opportunity to join our Accounting & Finance Division working on complex payroll for our 65-year-old company with over one billion dollars in annual revenue, and a workforce of over 3,000. CEI's Accounting & Finance team is robust with nearly 50 professionals on staff.
Reporting to the Payroll Supervisor, the Payroll Specialist I, is responsible for weekly processing all Union and Office related payroll for our employees. This role maintains electronic employee files, entering timecard data into JDE system and printing and distributing weekly checks. In addition, this individual will work closely with the project teams to resolve any discrepancies with timecard reporting and address them in a timely manner.
- Process weekly payroll for union & non-union employees accurately and
- Process employee business expense reimbursements for disbursement via
- Set-up and maintain log of all garnishments/tax levies and remit all payments to respective agencies in accordance with each garnishment-
- Review all garnishment related notices and prepare and process garnishments withholdings as
- Trouble-shoot & resolve issues related to payroll; including placing stop payments on lost paychecks and issuing replacement, correcting wage and/or benefit rates, and resolving incorrect hours worked for correct payments.
- Complete verification of employment forms for all union
- Coordinate with the Union Reporting Specialist to obtain current wage & benefit rates as
- Process lay-off checks for voluntary and involuntary
- Prepare EDD Audit Reports, including researching employment dates and compensation
Education and Experience:
- High School diploma
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) designation strongly preferred
- Minimum of five years of Payroll processing experience is highly preferred
- Union Payroll, certified payroll experience preferred. Construction payroll experience is preferred
- Proficiency in MS Office
- JDE Experience a plus
- Intermediate Excel
- Must have strong work
- A self-starter, with strong organizational and time management
- Possess quick and accurate data entry Critical attention to detail, professional attitude and reliable.
- In depth Multi State and Local tax jurisdiction
- Must recognize the importance of handling highly confidential
- Maintains professional composure at all
- Ability to translate payroll & compensation terminology into terms understandable to employees, independent contractors, co-workers and
- Works with a sense of urgency without sacrificing quality or
- Maintains energetic and positive
- Ability to maintain confidential information and high degree of
- Strong oral and written communication
- Able to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure